Wire management

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Josh~H, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

I have a mess of wires. An ugly mess of wires, and I'm seeking elegant approaches to hiding them. You can see what I mean here:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/llama6...metheater1.jpg

Suggestions? I need to hide 2 sets of component video wires, main L/R and center monster 12-gauge speaker cable, s-video, 2-3 pairs of RCA stereo plugs, subwoofer RCA plug, coaxial cable wire, several power cords...etc. Taken all together, it's a huge bundle.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Holy cow, Josh – three sets of front L/R speakers??

I’d suggest some split loom – what you typically find under the hoods of cars for wire routing. You can get it in various lengths and sizes at any auto parts store.

I recommend using the larger 3/4” size – 1” if you can get it. The larger size will let you layer extra wire lengths back and forth inside the loom to hide it all. I would run it from behind the TV to the rack, and up the back of the rack. You could use black tie wraps to hold the loom to the back if the rack; the tie wraps can be situated behind the equipment to keep them from being visible. The cabling would route up the back of the rack in the loom and exit the loom at the appropriate equipment.

I see you have much of the cabling stretched out from the rack towards the TV. You may have to get these wires in a longer length to permit them to be routed in the loom - directly down to the floor, then across the floor to the TV.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I have an unrelated question. How are you keeping your center channel on the TV? It looks like you have a Toshiba 42h82. I have one as well and I'm using two video tapes and a small speaker stand to hold mine up.

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Wiring loom is definitely a great solution. By the way, I converted your image tag to a URL as the size was over the 40K embedded limit.

5. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

6. Mark Murphy

I have an unrelated question. How are you keeping your center channel on the TV? It looks like you have a Toshiba 42h82. I have one as well and I'm using two video tapes and a small speaker stand to hold mine up.

7. Mark Murphy

Sorry I posted my question again.......I hit "back" on the browser and low and behold. Thanks for responding, Josh. I have a 3 yrd old, but he's pretty well trained to stay away from Dad's expensive toys but the moment I start trusting that, my center channel will be on the floor.

8. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

9. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I had wire problem in my HT. So instead of a rack I purchased a full Entertainment Center. I have a 57" RPTV that fits nicely in the center. I use one side for components and the other for displaying stuff. The wire are hidden by the entertainment center and speakers. You can't see any. I run the wires out the back of the component cabinet and back in where they need to connect to the receiver. That is the side you don't walk on so you don't see them. At first I didn't like the idea of a Entertainment Center but now I love it. Just a suggestion.Ohh yeah the cabinets also have a backlight in them for displaying.