What's new

wire loom fire hazard question (1 Viewer)

David K.

Second Unit
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=080-526

i just purchased this wire loom to help dress my speaker cables, i held it over an open flame to see how flamable the material was, and after a bit it would catch fire and stay on fire. Im concerned about the safety of the wire loom, I would think that since it is used to hold electrical wiring, then fire hazard would not be a big problem. But because it caught flame has me concerned.

if my speaker cables were to have a short, or if over time the cable cracks and the wire look is exposed to bare copper running electricity, what is the likelyhood of it catching fire? Should i look elsewhere for cable management material? i am right now using it to dress my cables under 1" heat shrink. and im concerned about fire issues, should i be concerned?

should i be using more expensive flame retardent looming for my speaker cables?

David K.

Second Unit
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=080-526

i just purchased this wire loom to help dress my speaker cables, i held it over an open flame to see how flamable the material was, and after a bit it would catch fire and stay on fire. Im concerned about the safety of the wire loom, I would think that since it is used to hold electrical wiring, then fire hazard would not be a big problem. But because it caught flame has me concerned.

if my speaker cables were to have a short, or if over time the cable cracks and the wire look is exposed to bare copper running electricity, what is the likelyhood of it catching fire? Should i look elsewhere for cable management material? i am right now using it to dress my cables under 1" heat shrink. and im concerned about fire issues, should i be concerned?

should i be using more expensive flame retardent looming for my speaker cables?

Dennis XYZ

Stunt Coordinator

No. Your amp's protection circuits will cut in (or the amp will be toast and quit working) long before your speaker wires ever get hot. Smoke from the amp - possible. Smoke from the wires - not likely.

(I shouldn't do this to someone who is obviously worried about this stuff but..... just think of all those wires running through holes drilled in the wood studs in your walls. ;) )

Dennis XYZ

Stunt Coordinator

No. Your amp's protection circuits will cut in (or the amp will be toast and quit working) long before your speaker wires ever get hot. Smoke from the amp - possible. Smoke from the wires - not likely.

(I shouldn't do this to someone who is obviously worried about this stuff but..... just think of all those wires running through holes drilled in the wood studs in your walls. ;) )

David K.

Second Unit
okay, im no electrical wiz though, so what i picture in my head is sparks/electricity comin from the bare copper and if it comes it contact via spark/electricity/physical contact, would that be enough to ignite the wire loom?

David K.

Second Unit
okay, im no electrical wiz though, so what i picture in my head is sparks/electricity comin from the bare copper and if it comes it contact via spark/electricity/physical contact, would that be enough to ignite the wire loom?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
David,

There won’t be a problem. To start with, it is only electrical (power) cables that can get hot. And that only happens when the cable is too light-duty for the application – like trying to run a window air conditioner from a skinny extension cord designed for lamps. Speaker cable carries virtually zero amperage, and it is a huge size for the load it is carrying. It will never get even the slightest bit warm, much less hot enough to ignite plastic.

Also keep in mind that they use the same wire loom under the hoods of automobiles – a fairly hot envorenment.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

David K.

Second Unit
cool i was using it today to heatshrink around, with mny new heat gun, but the thing warps imediately.... which has me peeved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks