Wire Labeling: Any good suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arthur S, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I am using a Dolby Digital-DTS decoder with a receiver having pre-outs and main-ins. This makes for a lot of wires running between the decoder and receiver (in addition to all the regular wires from and to components and speaker wires). Does anyone label their wires for easy reconnect and if so what do you use to make the labels?

Thanks

Artie

2. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Check out your nearest office supply store, they carry adhesive labels in many different sizes. I mark my labels using permanent markers in different colors, red for satellite hook-ups, green for DVD, blue for audio, black for speakers, orange for VCR. At each end of the wire/cable I mark where it's coming from (out) and where it's going to (in). Then just loop/wrap it over the wire/cable to form a tab so you can write big enough to read it without a magnifying glass. It took a while to do but was worth it when I have to get back there and face all that 'spaghetti.

Hope this helps.

3. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

My local hardware store sells electrical tape in black, white, green, orange, red, blue, and yellow. You could tape a little strip on the cable and a matching small cut-out on the equipment. I did this once just to keep from having to think.

Or a permanent "Sharpie" marker can be used to label the white electrical tape.

SP