1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Wire is Next Need Help?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Allan.G, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Allan.G

Allan.G Auditioning

I'm done framing and sheetrock is next but I need to know what kind of wiring I need to run for the front projection.

planing on getting a DLP2 with DVI .

Could someone help me out I would like to run everything I might need. I will also be running some conduit for anything I may need later.

Also What kind of terminals would you suggest for speaker wire?

And if there is anything else that you can think of that needs to go in before the sheetrock!

Thanks for the help in advance

2. John S

John S Producer

To your projector?

I think to be safe I'd wire at least one of every type of video...

Composite
    Svideo
    Component
    and DVI

If you have to do a bunch of audio / video from different devices to your Pre/Pro and/or AVR, Once again I would do almost everything to each device.

Sounds like over kill, but if you do that, on day your going to be glad you did. In-wall wire'n scares me, as advances are made, I keep changing stuff.

On the speaker wire, Home Depot has been my best friend.
    It seems I can always find spools of the size I want there for cheap.

3. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Also run a cat 5e. Some projectors can be hooked up to a computer. Not sure what wire to use for DVI. For composite, svideo and component wire with rg6 wire. Try and see if the wire's centre conductor is solid copper. This will ensure a lower resistence upon the cable. I would run the following:

DVI(might need an extra long already terminated line)
    S-video(rg6) or cat 5e(leviton makes Svideo ends that use 110 punch down termination for cat 5e)
    Component(3 rg6 cables)
    composite(rg6)
    And 2 extra rg6(just in case)

I Would also consider running infared repeters which can use cat 5e if your gear is going in a cabinet or behind the listening position. The repeter can go in the ceing or wall and there are many different kinds look at russound, Niles audio websites for details.

Your speakers I would use home depot in wall wire(12guage isn't needed for runs under 50ft) And wire in the wall not using electrical boxes but mud-rings or low voltage open back boxes/rings) and if wiring on an outside wall use a plastic vapor box behind them. Terminate the wire with wall plates that have gold(brass) binding posts. Most plates hold 8 connections leviton quick snap use only 6. behind the stereo make sure you can fit all the wire on the wall plates(need enough boxes)

It depends on where the stereo is to how you can run for the future. A single pipe from the stereo location to the attic can help. basement that is drywalled I'd run a pipe from one end of the basement to the other and maybe have some sort of access. hard to say.

4. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

Smarthome.com has some great in-wall plates and connectors for wiring your speakers. I used their plates that have 4 connectors (so I can hook a regular speaker to each outlet and still move my sub around, add speakers as technology requires, etc.). Pay attention to where you put the outlet to your front center speaker as most screens are not sound permeable, so you will probably put your speaker below your screen somewhere and angle it up toward your audience's ears.

And I'd also recommend that you run whatever cables you think you may want later. While DVI and good component cables are expensive in runs of 25' or more (my 12 meter component cable to my FP cost me about $300 and I hear that long DVI cables cost even more), trying to run them later is even more painful and expensive than just buying and installing the cables now. DVI for example, apparently needs at least a 2" conduit. The best idea I have heard is to install plastic rain gutters in your walls and ceilings rather than conduit. They are larger and give you more room to run wires later if needed.

Also think real hard about where you want to mount your FP. Each projector mounts at a different distance from the screen, and your set up will look cleaner if you have all the cables coming out of your ceiling in the same place and in the right place. Also make sure you get your FP mount before you finish your ceiling. It would be a good idea to reinforce your ceiling where you plan to put your mount, or at least to ensure that you have wood there to attach it to. I did not and really, really, regret it. It caused me a lot of extra work later.

And you may want to consider putting extra speaker outlets on your ceiling too, in case you later decide to ceiling mount them, add a rear center, etc. that are out of the way, etc.

5. Allan.G

Allan.G Auditioning

Thanks so much for the advice guys. It's nice to have somewhere to go to find real answers! Hopefully I will be able to return the favor for someone else in the future.

Also could someone recommend a good place or places to look for cable, like DVI ect

Thanks again for all your help