Wire installation

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ted_Polzin, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Ted_Polzin

Ted_Polzin Stunt Coordinator

Hey quick question for you all. I'm about to redo my basement and part of it will be to run speaker wire throughout the entire basement. I want to run two complete pairs to each speaker for the possibility of futureproofing (plus who knows when I may get the urge to bi-amp ). What wire should I use. I need to keep the project reasonable and the basement I will wire is 28' long so it will take a lot of wire. Also what should I put in for 2nd zone stuff just to future proof. I know standard zip cord from Home Depot is the wrong stuff for in wall but would electrical wire (2 wire stuff 14 or 12 gauge) be good or should I use something else. I'm also going to run conduit for my projector since right now I'm using a VGA for it but am sure I will ug to hdmi or dvi when I get a projector that will support it.

Please anything I should consider ... remember ... experiences you have. I am going to drywall the walls and ceiling so I really will be sol if I forget something.

I am going to at least run conduit for the projector. I'm hoping I can get away from it if I run extra runs of speaker wire. I'm hoping what ever I choose I can get from home depot or the like. I'm pretty sure I saw some CL rated wire when I was there. Seemed pretty cheap as well.

Also how many breakers should I put in? I'm going to run two 15's for my fish tank (sigh my other money eating hobby and ironically why I get to finish the basement) and 1 15 for the HT ... should I run 2 15's for the HT?

Ted

2. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

I picked up some 12 gauge speaker wire which is double jacketed and made for installation behind walls.. For long runs you are better off with a thicker gauge. So I'd say 12 gauge all around.
    I bought all my speaker wire at home depot and sounds perfect to my ears.

3. Bryce_H

Bryce_H Stunt Coordinator

I am building my dedicated HT right now and ran a TON of cable (but as I will find out sometime in the future, probably not enough [​IMG] ).

Anyway the list can be found in this thread

In terms of the breakers - I am running 2 dedicated 20amps to the component closet (mostly because I can, it's overkill), but for you I would at least run 1 20 amp - you will need 12gauge romex to do this.

I would also suggest you run conduit everywhere you can to assist in changing things out in the furture.

If you are going to run the speaker wire and not conduit, I would use 12 gauge bi-wire (4 strand) bundled cable, CL2 or CL3 rated. While 14 should be fine - a couple of bucks saved now equals a major expense and headache if you decide to want 12 gauge later.

Also consider running some other low volt wire for future needs (ethernet for online gaming, coax for RP tv's, telephone for cable/sat boxes, etc.)

4. John_Stra

John_Stra Extra

Home Depot has Carol cable and that is fine.. depending on the lenght of the run you might only need 14 or 16ga. I would also run CAT5 to location(s) for IR repeating, volume control's, key pad's..

-J

5. Ted_Polzin

Ted_Polzin Stunt Coordinator

Cat 5?? Really how much should I run? I am buying a box and running it throughout the house for network / telephone.

Ted