Wire gauge?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ChrisLazarko, Aug 22, 2003.

1. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

What speaker wire gauge would you recommend for Klipsch Quintets. They will soon be running about 50 feet a piece. I have my two rears on some Bose 18gauge wire and my fronts on 14gauge monster and my center on 12gauge monster. What would you guys recommend, tomorrow I am going to pick up some to increase my runs because I am moving my TV. Thank you for any help.

2. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

You'll probably want at least 12-guage wiring for the 50' runs so you don't get any highend roll-off.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Just buy a big ass roll of 12 gauge and run them all off of that.

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

You don't think 12gauge is a little serious? I mean they are only sattelite speakers but I would like peoples opinions on it. It is hooked up to a HK AVR-225 reciever.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

it's somewhere around 0.35 or so a foot. is it overkill in terms of 'could you hear the difference between 50 feet of 12 vs 14 gauge'? sure. Over in Tweaks I posted a link where you could buy 1000 feet of 14 gauge for the low 40's. It's a few days old and yeah, that's a lot of speaker wire, but get 3 other friends and you'll have enough speaker wire to last a lifetime. Besides, you could always double it up and get an equivalent 11 gauge.

6. NicholasTS

NicholasTS Stunt Coordinator

Chris, these Klipsch Quintets are more than your average satellite speaker. They should be treated as if they were high quality bookshelf speakers. Yeah, the frequency response may not be very wide but I believe it's probably wider than most. Why not take full advantage of the benefits these satellites give you over the others. Go with 12 gauge and eliminate any discrepancies you might encounter.