Wire for Subs

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Domonic A, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    I need to run wire for my HT subs that I do not have yet. I do have one that is a NHT which has a seperate amp so I just need to run wire to the sub from the rack, but chances are I will buy new ones.

????
    Do most subs now have the amp built in? What wire should I run to the sub locations to ensure I have what I need? The runs will be about 25' & 35' runs from the rack.

Thanks Again

Domonic

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

If it is a passive sub (requires external amp) just run speaker wire, the same as your other speakers is fine. If it is an active sub (amp built in, yes they are more common) you have to run a coax audio cable with RCA terminators (just like a regular audio cable). There are "subwoofer" cables out there, but they are essentially just regular audio cables. Choose what ever quality you are comfortable with.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jeff already mentioned what kind of wire is sued for both powered and non-powered subs. The best method for future-proofing would be to run both types of cable.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    This is probably obvious, but you'll also need access to electric if you go with a powered sub.

5. Tom Kay

Tom Kay Stunt Coordinator

Hi Domonic

I have been getting into the type of wire needed, lately, because I am at the stage where I am installing wire runs, then, soon, closing my wall. I have researched fairly extensively, but I'm sure that no one can be perfect.

Back to the subject: Sub wires should be well-shielded, because the humm that you get from subs can come from a few sources, such as ground loop (something I don't fully understand) and RFI, which is Radio Frequency Interference picked up by the sub cable.

As you run the sub wire, and ANY low power signal wire, keep them away from any power cables (at least a foot, I've been told), and cross at 90 degrees where possible. Also, use the best cable you can get, within reason. I called a bunch of stores about this, and some people want to sell me a uni-directional sub cable at around $100. Others say that RG-6, with a QUAD shield is perfect for this, if you add RCA jacks on each end. I have listened to several opinions, and I'll go with the RG-6, QUAD shield.

RG-6 QUAD shield, by the way, is just TV cable, but with 4 layers of shielding, so it's really resistant to RFI.

I hope this helps, but do ask some local stores, or keep reading these messages to form an overall opinion. Cheers, Tom.

6. Jim.M

Jim.M Extra

Wow - very interesting info Tom. I had no idea I could use RG6 for my sub. I am actually thinking about repositioning my sub and will need to run some wire and if RG6 works well, it would be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a long enough pre-made audio cable. I happen to have a bunch of quad shielded RG6 lying around from just having run cable tv to a couple other rooms. How would I go about getting RG6 with RCA connectors? Do I need any special tools to attach the RCA conn. to the cable?

Thanks,
    Jim

7. Tom Kay

Tom Kay Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jim

I called around to all of the local stereo stores, and since a lot of them now specialize in setting up home theaters, they have connectors that they can crimp onto the ends of various types of cables. So, phone around in your area.

I was going to use something called "Snap and Seal" , which are offered in F-type connectors and RCA connectors, but the store that was touting them as wonderful, now use something else. Bottom line is that I want something that's really on there firmly and won't pull off, won't corrode, won't allow much RFI, and I don't mind paying a couple bucks for it.

As an aside item, I also learned that I should run 6 strands of RG-6, Quad Shield from my receiver to the place where I MIGHT add a front projector one day. 3 for component video, one for crappy composite and 2 for S-type cable, because the local store has Y-shaped connectors that attach to 2 of the RG-6 Quad shield cables, and give you a high quality S-cable, for a lot less than a real S-cable. This RG-6 Quad shield seems to be useful stuff. It's also used as an improvement over the cheap RG-6 (non-Quad shield) that carries in your signal from the satellite dish.
    So, I searched and found Home Depot sells it for 1/3 of everyone else's price. 98 cents per meter, Canadian pricing, versus a dollar or more per foot at stereo stores.

Have fun ! Tom.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You don’t need to, really. You can terminate the RG-6 to a regular F-connector, and then use this adapter from Parts Express:

[​IMG]

You can use it directly in-line, or install it a wall plate.

Here’s the link: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...umber=091-1200

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. Jim.M

Jim.M Extra

Cool - thx Tom and Wayne. Great info... btw, Home Depot is where I bought the RG6 Quad.

10. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

What wayne said. I used RG6 with that adapter and F terminated the cable. Works like a champ.