Wire for DIY RCA Cables

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Domonic A, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Domonic Ableidinger
    I would like to run wire for RCA connections for my subs in the front of the room and wires for component video, s video and BNC(?) for the projector. What type of wire do I need to use for these runs?

The runs will range from 20 to 40 feet so I would like to make them myself.
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    Here is a good site to learn about cable making: How to make your own AV cables - Chris White

Although the site talks about RCA connectors, BNC's are done in a similar fashion.

I have some suggestions for you:

Dont try and do your own SVideo connectors. The connectors are very small and it is really easy to mess them up. You have some options here:

- Buy long SVideo cables from a custom web site (they tend to have good techs and know how to do this.

- Buy "breakout" SVideo cables. This is a SVideo connector going to 2 short runs of coax with BNC connectors. You run 2 extra runs of coax with the matching connectors so the bulk of the travel path is separate strands of coax.

If you follow the second suggestion, you may as well plan on running 2 sets of component cables. One for component, the other wire has 2 cables dedicated to the SVideo connection, and you may as well use the last piece of coax for a composite cable.

Also, you dont need the expensive coax for the subwoofer. CATV coax works fine for these low-frequency signals.

The website above shows you how, and you can use cheaper tools. But I strongly suggest you buy extra connectors and cable and cut/strip/crimp at least 2 other sets before working on your main cable. This allows you to get a feel for how to do it.

The custom cable sites are likely your best solution. They know what they are doing and by the time you find bulk supplies, order tools, spend time, you will have sunk more $$$ into the project than just buying the cables would cost.

Note: I strongly encourage you to build your own cables if you are interested in learning how. This is what I did. But I spent nearly $300 in the tools so it does not really save you money unless you are building several cables. I suggest you price everything out before deciding on DIY or a custom cable.