wire for 6.1 or 7.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Kosinski, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Jim Kosinski

Jim Kosinski Auditioning

I can only hold off the drywall for a few more days. I was planning to pre-wire for a center rear (6.1) but I am starting to wonder if this is a good idea and maybe I should be setting up for 7.1.

At this point, i'm probably looking at buying a Denon/Yamaha/Marantz receiver for around 1000. For that $, I dont think i'll get 7.1. So, if I wire for 7.1 and buy a 6.1 receiver the rear center will not be "centered".

The room is approx 20x20. The surround speakers (direct radiators) will be on the side walls, about 4-5 feet behind the seating area. The rear center speaker (or speakers!) will be in a bulkhead at the rear of the room, around 5-7 feet behind the seating area. They will be the in-ceiling type.

If money is not an option, I'm guessing I should be wiring and buying both rear speakers to allow a future upgrade to 7.1. But, since i'll be buying a 6.1 receiver now I am concerned that the results may be poor with only one of the two speakers being used.

What do you guys think?

2. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

Wire it now for 7.1, you'll only regret not doing it later if you decide to change. If you don't actually want to do 7.1 now, just coil up a bunch of extra wire into a nice coil and attach it to a stud inside the wall where you know you can find it later and drywall it up inside. Then when you decide to add the 7th channel you just punch through the wall where the wire is and make your connection.

Jeff

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I'd overwire if I had that option. Probably not for 10.1 though.

4. Scott Houchin

Wire for both the 7.1 and 6.1 rear speakers. Running wire now is cheap and easy compared to snaking it later (especially if the walls will be insulated).

On the back wall, you can coil up some extra wire and nail it to a stud, provided that you take very careful measurements as to where it is so you can cut the hole in the drywall later, and have it located correctly on the first try.

Or, you can just install single-gang boxes in the wall, and run the wire to those boxes. Once the drywall is up, just put on blank cover plates and paint them the wall color. We had this for 5 years in our house, and they were barely noticed.