Wire and Wattage

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David AG, Nov 30, 2002.

1. David AG

David AG Auditioning

When picking speaker wire, does it matter how many watts you are using? Am I safe running 1,600 watts through a single 12 gauge speaker wire from my amp to my sub about 15 feet away. I'm new so I really have no idea. I would just rather be safe than sorry. Thanks!

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I see you have a Tumult. The sub's own amp(internal or external plate amp) provides the wattage output. The line-level from the main AV receiver does not carry this power.

Typically for line-level we run a coax cable, and RG6 black or white with F-connectors on the ends paired with Radio Shack F-to-RCA adapters is cheap and quite good.

Twin-lead speaker wires are not used when applying this "line-level" receiver-to-sub connection. Otherwise, if you need to connect the plate amp output to the sub box, I think any 12-gauge spkr wire will suffice. You can also post in DIY Forum to reach other Tumult users.

3. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

david,
    if you are running speaker level inputs, here is a link to the belden website that gives the percent loss over number of feet...
    http://bwccat.belden.com/Bimages/TechInfo.htm
    just scroll down and find "speaker wire"
    russ

4. David AG

David AG Auditioning

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. And yep, it's a Tumult powered by a QSC DCA1622.