What's new

Wire 8" sub to the 2 mains??? (1 Viewer)

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Here is my situation. I've just built a Tempest sub, and now that I have an extra 8" sub from AR, model is AR S108P. I want to make use of it to help my 2 main speakers (only 6" woofer) out to give a lil more punch in the bass department. Question is how can I wire it up together? I have a yamaha htr 5560 receiver. The receiver has the output RCA jacks (6 output jacks, 2 mains, 1 center, 2 surround and 1 sub out) for external amp. The AR sub has 1 RCA line input and 2 set of speakers in. Is it posible to wire them together? If so, how can it be done? Appreciate any suggestions... Thanks in advanced...

Alex,

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't recommend it. You could hook it up through the speaker level inputs while leaving the Tempest on the sub preout. The problem there is there isn't a commercial sub plate amp in existance with a decent speaker level crossover. Reason being that crossover would need to be custom designed for ever speaker.

I guess you could try hooking the sub and mains to the receiver in parallel. Then try and dial the subs lowpass into the low end roll off of your mains. Not sure what kind of load the sub would present to the receiver so this idea may or may not be dangerous.

The only other option is an external good quality line level crossover, but since you're receiver doesn't have the necessary inputs to work with one it's a moot point as well (unless you by a seperate 2 ch amp for you mains).

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Dustin. I'll play around w/ it. Hope that I don't fry my receiver...

Alex,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks