What's new

WIPO plans to extend copyright protection of broadcast signals from 20 to 50 years (1 Viewer)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Doom9 has some links to articles about how the "WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization - the organization that gave us the basis for the DMCA) plans to extend copyright protection for broadcast signals from 20 to 50 years."

A quote from the article: "Unless broadcasting companies plan on transmitting their signals to Jupiter, a 50-year term makes even less sense because signals only exist for the short time they take to travel through the air to reach their point of reception".

From doom9:

Opinions?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
As for computers, they'd only be illegal if they had the decryption code.

I didn't read the article, but this falls in with what I heard before - that when we all are in HD-TV, we will not be able to TIVO or VCR anything unless the TV station permits it. Everything else will be copy-protected, and we won't even be able to record it live.

This is going to suck royally, big time.

Glenn

John Watson

Screenwriter
I won't be around in 50 years, but I think I'll arrange to be cremated - I don't want some corporate entity to be able trademark my DNA and sell my brains :).

Seriously, this Intellectual Property movement is going beyond reasonable limits.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

Someone will invent something to hack the code or provide a code to hack the copy protection. Copy protection is a problematic concept because someone will always find a way to hack it or get around it if they want to record something bad enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scoundrel
Recent bookmarks