WIPO plans to extend copyright protection of broadcast signals from 20 to 50 years

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jeff Jacobson, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Doom9 has some links to articles about how the "WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization - the organization that gave us the basis for the DMCA) plans to extend copyright protection for broadcast signals from 20 to 50 years."

A quote from the article: "Unless broadcasting companies plan on transmitting their signals to Jupiter, a 50-year term makes even less sense because signals only exist for the short time they take to travel through the air to reach their point of reception".

From doom9:

Opinions?

2. Eddy-C

Eddy-C Supporting Actor

Why ban computers?

3. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

As for computers, they'd only be illegal if they had the decryption code.

I didn't read the article, but this falls in with what I heard before - that when we all are in HD-TV, we will not be able to TIVO or VCR anything unless the TV station permits it. Everything else will be copy-protected, and we won't even be able to record it live.

This is going to suck royally, big time.

Glenn

5. LizH

LizH Second Unit

Which will put quite a crimp in Tivo's business.

6. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I won't be around in 50 years, but I think I'll arrange to be cremated - I don't want some corporate entity to be able trademark my DNA and sell my brains [​IMG].

Seriously, this Intellectual Property movement is going beyond reasonable limits.

7. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Someone will invent something to hack the code or provide a code to hack the copy protection. Copy protection is a problematic concept because someone will always find a way to hack it or get around it if they want to record something bad enough.