Wipeout Fusion....what a disappointment.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derrik Draven, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    When I purchased the original PSX in the fall of '95, the game that immediately grabbed my attention was this absolute gem of a game called "Wipeout".
    Never saw graphics like that before and, the gameplay, for me, was absolutely killer! When you love racing/flying, it's hard to ask for more than Wipeout. [​IMG]
    That original Wipeout had a "feel" to the physics that I just can't explain. I guess it felt the most realistic. The craft floated and had aerodynamic properties that seemed real. I loved it! Played it over and over just to shave off literal hundreths of a second of my best time just to piss off my; then, brother in law, who also had the game.
    One of the reasons I bought the PS2 was the anticipation of a "next-gen" version called Fusion.
    Well, after much delay, I finally bought it...against my own belief of many "less than favorable" reviews I've read.
    ...the critics were right. [​IMG]
    Graphically, I thought it was a nice improvement but, I am a bit jaded due to playing my Xbox most of the time. Fusion didn't impress all that much graphically but, as I said, it was nice.
    The weapons sounded and looked great. It seemed to be a much more viscious version, which is cool. Several races I didn't even finish. A VERY rare occurance for me with the last versions of Wipeout, where death was a possibility.
    But...my biggest problem with the game is that, hard to explain, ethereal "feel". It feels off. The physics are bad bad bad!!! No more of that sweet aerodynamic, "flying in ground effect", type of feel past Wipeouts have had. This game feels like magnetic racing.
    I just couldn't stand the idea that, I'm going like an absolute bat outta hell, only to hit a ridiculously steep dropoff and WHAM!!! my ship is now facing straight down. "What the f&#*"?!!? In past versions, you would've floated to a "nose down" position, the way it would happen as though you were flying a few feet above the track.
    In fact, in past iterations, you could pull up on the nose while descending to get a nice soft landing after a steep dropoff. If you didn't, sometimes you'd get a gutwrenching "CLUNK" as your crafts nose hit the hardtop.
    This version is more like 1970's slot car racing with "Magnatraction" (remember that? [​IMG])
    Anyhoo...I took it back today. Got store credit which, I'll hold onto until Enclave comes out.
    Which...there has been many, "Less than favorable" reviews of. Fingers crossed.

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Well I still like it very much. [​IMG]
    Dan

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

My thoughts exactly, Derrik.

(Unfortunately.)

-Dave

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I love it....second best of the series behind XL.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I think it's pretty great too. Not sure why there's such displeasure over this one. I think the weakest part is the graphics.

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

weakest part:

NO DESIGNERS REPUBLIC!

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The weakest part is the control. Followed by the sound (which feels really "detached" from the action). Then the music, then the lack of Designers Republic.
    IMO. [​IMG]
    -Dave

8. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

The weakest part is definitely the lack of The Designers Republic. I(heart)MyDR. The music isn't too bad, thanks to the pair of Dougans & Cobain tracks. The feel really is too far off for me, though, and whats more my favorite in the series wip3out doesn't look quite right under the PS2's PS1 emulation for some reason.

Its a break with tradition, but I'm actually pleasantly surprised with ExtremeGIII. The motobikes excuse the sticking of the vehicles to the tracks, and its got a better sensation of speed. Apparently the Gamecube version is significantly better still, but I picked up the PS2 release for a tiny £7.99 (Gamestation in Watford, if anyone wants it) and its easily worth buying at that price.

9. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yea, but wasn't DR missing from the last one too? Or was that just from the N64 version?

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Just the N64 version, Camp. DR did the incredibly bad menus for Wipeout3.

BTW - any Wipeout fan really should track down Wipeout3SE from the UK. Playing the original tracks in the updated engine is superb.

11. Iain Lambert

Personally, I really like the menus on wip3out. They, along with the whole game look, are more in the style of DR's Warp work than the PWEI colour overload that was used in 2097. Its a definite judgement call as to which is better for a wipEout game, but I just really like the fact that its another side of their work.

Mind you, they did at least the box design and ad campaign for the GTA games, didn't they? Care to spill some detail on how close that relationship was - did they just arrive after the game was done for packaging, or did they help on any of the digital stuff?

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Iain Lambert

aaah, I see. I always thought they did the box art as well. Thanks Brian. I disliked the poster myself at the time (and with it being on the back of the map it was fairly useless as a poster anyway), but its kind of grown on me over the years.

14. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I'll throw in my HO.

I'm a wipeout junkie, always have been since the original. Could get perfect laps on every track in XL. that much of a junkie. It is my favorite game of all time, no lie (wipeout XL).

Fusion is fun, hard, graphically nice, good music, OK sound effects.

My biggest complaint is the feel and control. its just not there. Most of the tracks have corners that you have no choice but to ride the outside rail, no amount of L/R brakes will get you around it.

I've already finished fusion league and have a maxed out (you know) ship. The challenges are especially hard, 5 eliminations!!!!!! just how the heck do you expect me to elminate 5 guys with the weak shield you've given me!! darnit.

-ps- about your nose hitting the ground, pull back on the stick to ease your landing/lift nose.

15. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

16. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Thanks Dean,

I probably only have about 30 hours into the game. We'll see, still doesn't feel right though.