What's new

Wipeout Fusion (UK version): Initial impressions (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I'm progressing well in Arcade mode having now unlocked a new racing zone, an Aztec jungle themed area which is phenomenal. It's raining on this level, there are waterfalls and it's full of tight corners.

I've also unlocked an autopilot function.

Dan

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Coolness. I can hear the word 'Plasma' and the accompanying 'shoom' noise in my head as I type. It seems an odd idea to have to unlock all these weapons that used to just lie on the track for you, but I can see that the method could be made to work. 'Plasma' is my favorite weapon, but on the other hand I can see it getting _really_ annoying once the other craft get them.

As for the view thing, I'm used to being in a minority with the 'on the nose of the craft' view, but it does make the game feel even faster. Switching back to the external view makes things seem remarkably calm afterwards!

paul h

Supporting Actor
Just started playing it, this game is fast...damn fast! It's tough but rewarding, enjoying it so far and the music is cool as usual.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
It seems an odd idea to have to unlock all these weapons that used to just lie on the track for you, but I can see that the method could be made to work.
You get lots to begin with, then subsequent completion of more courses unlocks more. What I like is, the enemy craft dont have these extra weapons until you yourself can get them so it plays fair.

Dan

Brett Halsey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Dan,
I hired a copy of Wipeout Fusion from my local Ballbuster and your absolutely right the game is so blisteringly fast, that it took me quite a while to get used to the speed.
The controls I found were easy to master with a little bit of perserverance ( and a lot of air brake useage ;) )
The speed factor got me thinking how much harder it will be able to handle the craft as the US version of the game ( when you guys finally get it :frowning: ) will be running at stoikingly 17.5% faster than the PAL version.
Enough talk from me...I'm off to play some more Wipeout!

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Unless its very badly coded, Americans will just get a 20% faster frame rate, with the game mechanics playing at the same speed. Dreamcast games have both 50 and 60 Hz options (apart from the odd early one), and you can't make the game easier by slowing it down.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
The PAL coding seems excellent, there may bit little to no difference in speed come release of the NTSC version. Heck, any faster and I WOULD be crashing into everything.

Dan

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I've always played Wipeout 'in-car' and have always excelled.
Then again, I use the NeGcon which is basically an unfair advantage over the dual-shock, so maybe it all evens out. :)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
You still have your Negcon? That's cool. Mine broke a few years ago. Bought in in Paris when they 1st came out; lugged it all across Europe, couldn't wait to get home and try it. Certainly was the best controller I ever used for Wipeout. It's what I bought it for in the 1st place.

I always played Wipeout in the "nose" camera view. I guess some people are calling that the "in-car" view? The kind of view I was originally asking about was more along the lines of a "cockpit" view, like in flight sims. I thought there was something like that in Wipeout 3? You could see some of the interior of the racer as though you were looking out it's forward window.

Thought that would be cool if it was in Fusion although, I can see where it could be difficult to play the game that way, given the high speeds and sometimes narrow tracks.

Still...

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Hit course variation 3 on the Aztec style zone and it's stunning, absolutely mind blowing water effects, at one point you hurtle right over the edge of a waterfall.

Dan

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
You still have your Negcon? That's cool. Mine broke a few years ago. Bought in in Paris when they 1st came out; lugged it all across Europe, couldn't wait to get home and try it. Certainly was the best controller I ever used for Wipeout. It's what I bought it for in the 1st place.
Hell, I've got 3 of them. When I find something good, I buy extras :)
Yeah, I use the 'nose' view.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks