WipEout Fusion & Stuntman -- Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Ruth, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I'm considering picking these games up -- what do you guys think about them?

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Wipeout is MF AWESOME!!!! you must get it now.

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I disagree - Wipeout Fusion is a HUGE letdown. I'd rent it first...(I wish I did).

-Dave

4. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'd rent "Stuntman" first. It pains me to say this, because it's a really original concept -- but I'm still undecided as to whether it works as implemented.

The game is hard, and frustrating as hell. Basically, you have perform a series of stunts to the satisfaction of the director of the movie you're working on. One scene, for example, might have you chasing a car down narrow alleys of London's industrial sector, crashing into trash cans and crates along the way as instructed, using the handbrake to perform 180-degree turns in points, before finally crashing you car in a spectacular roll. Sounds cool, doesn't it?

It is -- for the first few tries. Then, after your first few failures, you begin to curse quietly under your breath. After a few more, you're swearing openly. Then, you begin to hit your sofa or worse, throw your controller in frustration. If you manage to stick with it, you might finally land the stunt -- on somewhere between the 30th and 50th try.

You see, once you start a scene, the slightest mistake will cause you to flunk -- and have to start all over again. And some of the game's strengths seem to work AGAINST it. Like "Driver," the cars have a wonderfully accurate physics engine -- but when you're careening through the narrow alleys of London, making 90-degree turn after 90-degree turn, and the slightest misstep will make you start a three-minute scene all over again, you might wish for a more forgiving, "arcadey" engine instead.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed Reflections' past work, and I've nothing against hard games. But this one, I believe, might fall into the "artificially" hard category.

I'm still undecided as to my true feelings about this one -- I really love the concept -- but as you can see, I'm not really enjoying it all that much so far. Rent first.

5. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

I was planning on getting Wipeout Fusion since I owned and loved all the Wipeout games on PS1 but after hearing so many negative opinions on the game I think I'll pass for now. Instead I got Splashdown for Xbox and I'm loving that game. I might pick up WF later on if I can find it for cheap or preowned. Or I might just get Quantum Redshift which seems to be the Wipeout type game for Xbox but with better graphics and hopefully a finer polish to the overall package. It sucks that this Wipeout game isn't getting rave reviews since I've been waiting for it since it was first announced for PS2. They took so long getting it out over here that I had lost interest and after hearing all the unenthusiastic reviews for the game I think I'll pass or wait for the bargain bin.