WinXP networking question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike LS, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I recently reformatted my work computer and upgraded from Win2000 to XP Pro.

With 2000, I would always have to enter a password to access shared drives on the network. Now I still do for the older Win98 systems, but the other 2000/XP machines can be accessed with no password.

How do I set a password for these machines so that they cannot be accessed so easily? They have account passwords.

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

The reason that it works this way (I'm making an assumption here) is because you are logged in with your user id and you have an account on the other computers that you are logging into that has the same user name and password. Unless someone else has an account on your system with the same name and password as the account on the system that they are currently on, they wouldn't be able to get on. If they do, they would only be able to access whatever shares they have permission for anyway.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

The machines that aren't prompting for passwords do not have the same login as my computer. They all have different logins. Same passwords, but different logins.