WinXP MCE - simplest/best solution for multiple configs?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by RobertCharlotte, Jan 10, 2006.

1. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

What would be the simplest way to set up a PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition to boot up running absolutely nothing but the bare minimum of programs. By bare minimum, I mean the Win98 equivalent of Explorer and SysTray. No network connection, no virus scanning, nothing.

I'm above average in skill with computers, but I've never had to do anything with XP, so I'm rusty on the details. Ideally, I would like to be able to achieve this "bare minimum" state with a boot-menu type selection.

My goal is to have a configuration which provides me the maximum free resources for capturing and editing video.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I believe you can accomplish what you would like using the msconfig utility. Just go to Start --> Run --> type msconfig --> Enter

Perhaps someone else will have a better suggestion.

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Create a new login account (like "Video"), then do what Seth suggested. Then when you login as user Video Windows will load that configuration, and when you login under another ID you'll get your normal start-up.

Didn't Ron have almost exactly this question not too long ago? He also needed an alternate start-up config, for gaming or something. Try a search on Ron and "start up" - it was within the past month or two.

Regards,

Joe