WinXP - Difference between Full and Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndyVX, Nov 27, 2001.

1. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Hey,

Just wondering what the differences are between the Full version of WinXP and the Upgrade version? Both versions allow you to install from scratch, and both versions allow you to simply upgrade by sticking the disc in your drive while in you current OS.

So, what do I gain by purchasing the Full version besides having to pay more money?

Thanks.

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

AFAIK, the upgrade version merely requires you to own a previous version of Windows (98 or newer). In essence, it's a licensing thing. If you only have a legitimate copy of 3.1, then you have to buy the Full.

There is no difference in the content.

Todd

3. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Well if that was true, then you wouldn't be able to install the upgrade from scratch, which you can.
    Unless during the install it asks you to insert your Win98/ME/2000 CD?
    **EDIT**
    Whoops, misread your post. You said just own a previous version, not have a previous installed version.
    **EDIT-2**
    Ok, well then. What does XP require? My Win98 CD or just the authentication #? If it only needs the number, I will soon be burning my Win98 CD and watching the bugs try to run away [​IMG]

4. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Wait - Does this mean purchasing the upgrade version will allow you to do a fresh install if you have your previous version of Windows?

5. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

Hmmmm, actually, at my house, my dad was trying to install XP Upgrade edition from scratch, but couldn't. He had to install Windows ME first from scratch, and then upgrade. I wasn't there when he started the install so I'm not sure what the problem was exactly. Just thought you should know.

6. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

7. Uchendu Nwachukwu

It's important to note that you will not be able to install a Windows XP upgrade from scratch if you have one of those recovery CDs that companies like Compaq and HP supply with their PCs.
    This does not mean you can't do a clean installation - you can still do that. However, it means you must start the setup program from within an already-installed Windows. If you do that, and select 'clean installation', it will wipe your HD and do a clean install partway through the setup process.

8. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer