What's new

WinXP - Difference between Full and Upgrade? (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hey,

Just wondering what the differences are between the Full version of WinXP and the Upgrade version? Both versions allow you to install from scratch, and both versions allow you to simply upgrade by sticking the disc in your drive while in you current OS.

So, what do I gain by purchasing the Full version besides having to pay more money?

Thanks.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
AFAIK, the upgrade version merely requires you to own a previous version of Windows (98 or newer). In essence, it's a licensing thing. If you only have a legitimate copy of 3.1, then you have to buy the Full.

There is no difference in the content.

Todd

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Well if that was true, then you wouldn't be able to install the upgrade from scratch, which you can.
Unless during the install it asks you to insert your Win98/ME/2000 CD?
**EDIT**
Whoops, misread your post. You said just own a previous version, not have a previous installed version.
**EDIT-2**
Ok, well then. What does XP require? My Win98 CD or just the authentication #? If it only needs the number, I will soon be burning my Win98 CD and watching the bugs try to run away :D

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Wait - Does this mean purchasing the upgrade version will allow you to do a fresh install if you have your previous version of Windows?

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Hmmmm, actually, at my house, my dad was trying to install XP Upgrade edition from scratch, but couldn't. He had to install Windows ME first from scratch, and then upgrade. I wasn't there when he started the install so I'm not sure what the problem was exactly. Just thought you should know.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Wait - Does this mean purchasing the upgrade version will allow you to do a fresh install if you have your previous version of Windows?
Yes, just insert the older version CD when the install prog asks for the path to your previous installation of Windows. As far as I know, the upgrade and full versions are identical except for the install prog.

It's important to note that you will not be able to install a Windows XP upgrade from scratch if you have one of those recovery CDs that companies like Compaq and HP supply with their PCs.
This does not mean you can't do a clean installation - you can still do that. However, it means you must start the setup program from within an already-installed Windows. If you do that, and select 'clean installation', it will wipe your HD and do a clean install partway through the setup process.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Unless during the install it asks you to insert your Win98/ME/2000 CD?
That's exactly what happens.

I installed XP Home on my bare C: drive, using my WinME Upgrade disc (for 98 users) as "Proof of prior OS ownership." I put it in when it asked, it spun for a few seconds, and then it asked for the XP disc back, and the XP install continued.

In terms of content on the discs, there is no functional difference between the upgrade and the full version. It's all strictly about licensing. It's been this way for a while (I did a clean install of ME using the aforementioned disc, and showed it my 98 disc as proof). Same thing with 98 and 95.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks