What's new

WinXP died from Error-check,,,,need help (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Last night, I ran the defrag program twice and then restarted so I could run the error-checking program in WinXP. At some point in the middle of the night, the program decided to freeze up, so I rebooted it and now my computer won't start up. It gets to the screen where I can press F1 for Setup and F10 for System Recovery, then the next screen it says "An error occured, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart."

I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition on an HP Pavillion with 3.2 GHz P4 and a whole lotta other crap. I'm trying to save all my data on my computer, being that there's a good 30+ GB on there already that I want to keep, but I'm willing to let it go if I really can't get it back. HP is sending me a Recovery Console CD tomorrow to see if that works.

Any suggestions?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
You can press F8 during boot and try "Last Known Good Configuration" to see if that will bring you back up. You could also put in your OS disk, if they actually gave you one, appears not, and try to run "chdsk" through the "Recovery Console" to see if you have bad sectors that can be repaired. If that doesn't work, try a "Repair" reinstall. Again, without the original Windows disk, you're kinda screwed.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Tried pressing F8 when I talked to the tech support guy, nothing happened. And those other options you recommended...well I can't do them because I don't have the disks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks