What's new

winxp and networking question (1 Viewer)

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
First I installed win xp and now I have two operation systems on my computer xp and 98 how do I get rid of 98?

Second will two wireless router/accesspoints talk to each other? So I can dasiy chain them two together in two different rooms. I got a good deal on two wirless routers access points. Which makes them cheaper than buying wireless cards for each computer, plus xbox which has to use a cable.

Thanks

BrianRE

Auditioning
I am not sure about removing 98 from your system, look in add/remove programs in your control panel and see if it shows up, if so, you can remove it there.

Going wireless access point(WAP)to WAP, in a relay, there is not a straight yes or no here. It depends on your AP's, some allow it, some do not. The firmware (the software that runs the AP) has to support it. If it does, there will be an option to turn it on in the AP. Most AP's if not all are controlled via a web interface, you put their IP address in you web browser to configure them. Check with the manufacturers web site to see if it is supported on that piece of equip. or not.

Brian

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Do you have the system set to dual boot?

Getting rid of 98 is not that big a deal. First, open up windows explorer and find the win98 install directory (should be simply "windows") and rename it. Anything, doesn't matter, you just need to change the path of all the files in that folder. Be sure you do this while you're booted in XP.

Then reboot the machine back into XP and make sure nothing weird goes on. There shouldn't be a thing in the 98 directory that would effect XP, but it's safer to do it this way.

If you have no problems, then simply delete the win98 directory. You'll then have to go in and change the boot.ini file to get ride of the dual boot screen. I don't remember what line you have to change to do that, but I'm sure someone can give you than info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks