What's new

Winter Kills Spring 2003 (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
found this at http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/future/
An all-star cast including Jeff Bridges, Anthony Perkins, John Huston, Tomas Milian and Toshiro Mifune highlight this exciting political thriller that focuses on the investigation of a presidential assassination.
Special Edition features are planned, and will be announced soon. This DVD will contain the full-length extended edition. Widescreen (16x9) Closed Captioned For The Hearing Impaired
Never heard of this, but with Toshiro Mifune & Anthony Perkins you cannot get wrong.
There are numerous dvds planned by Anchor Bay for 2003 including Frank La Loggia's FEAR NO EVIL and the George Romero's dawn of the dead and day of the dead as SE

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
This is great news. Now, I can get rid of my OOP, cropped old Embassy VHS version. Thank you Anchor Bay! WINTER KILLS is a dark, absurdist, often very funny political conspiracy film like no other. It is based on a novel by Richard Condon who seems to specialize in this sort of thing. This cult film also features the beautiful Belinda Bauer as Bridges' girlfriend, Sterling Hayden, Elizabeth Taylor, Eli Wallach, Dorothy Malone, Richard Boone, Candice Rialson, and Erin Gray in the wonderfully offbeat cast.
Writer/director William Richert went through a lot of crap with the studio, Avco-Embassy, while trying to finish the film. The studio dropped the film before it was completed so Richert went and made another film, The American Success Company, with Bridges and Bauer to raise funds to finish Winter Kills, his true labor of love.
The American Success Company has never been released on any home video format. Columbia released it theatrically, and like Winter Kills, it had multiple theatrical releases and edits, and was also released as Success.
I am very happy to hear about Winter Kills and hope that Success will soon follow. Columbia, are you listening? Do you still have the rights to this film?
On a final note, prior to making Winter Kills, Richert worked with director Ivan Passer who went on to make the excellent conspiracy whodunit/thriller Cutter's Way/Cutter and Bone also starring Jeff Bridges. Check out the MGM DVD.
Jon

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I love the novel by Richard Condon! Never saw the film before. The DVD from Anchor Bay that I can't wait to get is "Murder By Decree". That was the very 1st Lasedisk that I bought.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from today's dvdfile and includes the coverscan

due on March 25th is a feature-loaded special edition of Winter Kills, starring Jeff Bridges and Anthony Perkins. Presented in anamorphic widescreen, extras include audio commentary by director William Richert, two featurettes, a still gallery, the complete original screenplay, and the trailer. Retail is $24.95.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
www.davisdvd.com has the full specs, great news indeed
the 1979 Jeff Bridges thriller Winter Kills is a 2-disc set features a 16x9 widescreen transfer, an audio commentary with writer/director William Richert, the "Who Killed WINTER KILLS?"documentary featuring all new interviews with Richert, actors Jeff Bridges and Belinda Bauer, DP Vilmos Zsigmond and production designer Robert Boyle, footage of Richert and Bridges discussing the making of the film, "Star Stories" with the director, behind the scenes and production still galleries, a deleted scenes still gallery, poster and advertising, production art, the trailer, and original screenplay via DVD-ROM. Retail is $29.98.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Can't find the news at Davis DVD, Oscar! It's probably staring me in the face! :D
Winter Kills is a super, underrated film. I am a BIG Jeff Bridges fan and I think he's excellent in this one. I hope we see The Last American Hero and Hearts Of The West on DVD some day.
Thanks for the heads-up! Quality work! :emoji_thumbsup:
Gordy

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if this is the UNCUT version? Anchor Bay lists 97 minutes as the film's runtime but does not mention if this is uncut or not. IMDB mentions a 1983 re-release with deleted scenes restored but there is no info as to running time.

From a user comment at imdb:

"Winter Kills" exists in two versions. In 1980, Magnetic Video briefly released the theatrical cut, which was edited to deemphasize the comedy and rush-released by Avco Embassy. However, in 1983, Richert was given the green light to re-edit his film. This version, with the original ending restored and many of the comic moments restored, was released by Embassy Home Entertainment in 1984.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks