Wings on DVD?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Angela_K, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Angela_K

Angela_K Stunt Coordinator

Angela
    I was just wondering now that Thomas Haden Church is up for an Academy Award, will that help get Wings out on DVD faster? If he wins, how good would it look to have "Starring Academy Award Winner Thomas Haden Church, and Emmy Winner Tony Shaloub"(well for Tony, the seasons he started in) on the cover of the DVD

Just curious [​IMG]

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Shaloub was interviewed on a local radio station late last week. I knew it was coming up but that I wouldn't get to listen to it due to other commitments. I both called and wrote the D.J., telling him who I was and asking him to ask Shaloub if he knew anything about Wings on DVD. He still hasn't responded, and yesterday he was taking a day off. Maybe I can catch up with him today and see if he got the message in time to ask the question.

3. Angela_K

Angela
    Thanks David. I hope we hear something soon. I don't know why we haven't. It's one of my most wanted DVDs. [​IMG]

4. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    Would Tony Shaloub be involved with the initial release of Wings, didn't he join late?

5. David Lambert

It's true that Shaloub first shows up in episode #17 of the second season, "Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places".

However, the first season was merely 6 episodes, so hopefully it would be a Seasons 1 & 2 combo like Dallas was!

That would be 28 episodes - a half hour each - from both seasons on one set. Hardly out of the realm of possibility that Shaloub would know if something's cooking.

6. DougFND

DougFND Second Unit

I'm still hoping for this. I'd definitely buy the first five seasons. I just started making my own sets from the Nick at Nite showings, but those end as of tonight. However, it will supposedly still be on TVLand on Fridays.

7. DougFND

DougFND Second Unit

I was surprised to this a the #7 most requested unreleased show at tvshowsondvd.com. Maybe there is hope after all!

8. Angela_K

Angela

Really I'm not surprised. I think Wings is getting itself a bit of a cult following, nothing like Star Trek and shows like that of course.

Wings is one of those underdog shows you want to root for, especially since [email protected] has treated it so bad. I think the TVLAND Wings marathons on Fridays have helped build up it's fanbase [​IMG]

9. Justin Hargis

Justin Hargis Stunt Coordinator

I'm curious to see Lowell at the Oscars. [​IMG]

10. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

Wings is by far the TV show I now most want on DVD. And I agree it's developed quite a following over the years. I don't think I've ever seen a show that was as heavily syndicated as Wings was. It was airing on USA 4-6 times a day for a number of years. Hopefully, we'll see it on DVD sooner rather than later. One more good sign for it is that Tim Daly's new drama is starting to air on ABC in April. So many of their stars having good fortune right now could provide the inspiration to release the DVDs.

11. Angela_K

Angela

Yeah I remember it being the butt of jokes by some comics because of it being on so much on the USA network, but yet if it were Seinfeld or another show, they wouldn't have said a word [​IMG] [​IMG]

I agree, Wings has quite a following. It will forever be in Cheers' shadow, but I know people who are Cheers fans who think Wings is a better show [​IMG]

12. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

My set of Wings DVDs recorded off-air gets quite a workout...there is literally never a time that at least one of my various players (a 5-disc, a 3-disc, a portable, and 3 computer DVD drives) doesn't contain a Wings disc or two, and NEVER a full week goes by without my watching at least four or five eps-on-disc, since [email protected] relegated the show to such an unworkable time-slot (and now appears to be removing it from their lineup completely), and I work evenings and thus miss the Friday mini-marathons on TVLand.

My point is this: Even when this show was on perpetual syndication re-run way back then on USA, I had seen every single ep enough times to (almost literally) have them memorized. But, this was by choice, because I enjoy this show so very much, and I have always actively sought it out whenever and wherever it was aired. I literally never get tired of it, and I consider it to be one of the absolute best ensemble comedies ever. Even after years worth of multiple viewings, it is STILL as great now as it was then.

I had VHS-ed it before, and now that the technology has made it possible, I have it on disc.

My off-air discs are fine for now, but I would really, really love to replace them with a great commercial set. I've waited and hoped for this one for years, along with WKRP. Of course, we all know the hold-up with WKRP, but I have never been able to find out what the problem is with getting Wings out.

I can only hope that SOMETHING will happen to finally wake up whoever owns Wings and make them see that there is a very eager fan (and consumer) base out here just waiting to snatch this one up...IF they'll just get it out of the vaults and onto the shelves.

13. Angela_K

Angela
    I hope Paramount isn't waiting to release Wings until after all of Cheers and Frasier are out [​IMG]

IMO Wings should have been released before Frasier ever was [​IMG]

14. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    And now that Nick at Nite seems to have stopped showing it, maybe now we can get it on DVD so we can continue to get our fix!

It had the right mix of comedy and drama. Sometimes the emotional endings were really emotional, with the nice piano tinkling to end the show. In fact, so emotional, it took me by surprise.

I would really like the shortened theme for an e-mail notification sound.

15. Angela_K

Angela
    Yeah Friday was the last night for Wings on [email protected] [​IMG]

TVLAND is still doing the marathon on Fridays for Wings, so that makes me glad, so I can continue taping episodes at least

16. Wil Tibbetts

Wil Tibbetts Auditioning

I liked this show. It was teamed with "Major Dad" on USA Network a while back. *sigh* ah.... For the good ol' days.

Tibbetts

17. Sue_New

Sue_New Stunt Coordinator

Oh my gosh, yes, "Wings"!! I'd all but forgotten about this show. I loved it. I even liked Crystal Bernard's singing! I vote for DVD on this one.

18. Angela_K

Angela
    For anyone who's interested, at the Wings forum on sitcomsonline.com there are petitions to get Wings out on DVD, so if anyone wants to sign them please go ahead [​IMG]

19. David Lambert

Wings is #7 on the most-wanted-unreleased-to-DVD-series list at TVShowsOnDVD (but you can call it #6 for all practical purposes since we know the current #1 title is coming later this year).

20. Jacob McCraw

Jacob McCraw Stunt Coordinator

Chalk up another vote for Wings!

Kahlua and Scotch...is not a drink.