Camps

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Please, everybody who wants the classic-3D spigot kept open --buy this title even if (like me...) you're not a big westerns fan! Sales of Wings may be crucial to maintaining Kino's interest in distributing more 3d titles.

Reactions: John Sparks

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
3D, color, widescreen. I'll have to have it.
-Newly Restored in 3-D
-NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Jeremy Arnold
-Includes Hypnotic Hick - 1953 Woody Woodpecker Cartoon
-NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker Greg Ford (Hypnotic Hick)
-NEW 20-Minute Audio Commentary by 3-D Expert Mike Ballew
-Theatrical Trailer
-Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
-Optional English Subtitles

Please, everybody who wants the classic-3D spigot kept open --buy this title even if (like me...) you're not a big westerns fan! Sales of Wings may be crucial to maintaining Kino's interest in distributing more 3d titles.
Bob has said that if Taza and Wings sell well, four or five more 1950's 3D titles will be released. Kino has said that westerns do not sell well but they are releasing Pillars of the Sky.

Coming Soon as part of Western Classics II set:

Pillars of the Sky (1956)

pillars-of-the-sky.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Camps

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
-Newly Restored in 3-D
-NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Jeremy Arnold
-Includes Hypnotic Hick - 1953 Woody Woodpecker Cartoon
-NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker Greg Ford (Hypnotic Hick)
-NEW 20-Minute Audio Commentary by 3-D Expert Mike Ballew
-Theatrical Trailer
-Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
-Optional English Subtitles

Bob has said that if Taza and Wings sell well, four or five more 1950's 3D titles will be released. Otherwise, Kino is not interested.
And unfortunately Bob has indicated Kino (last I heard) was disappointed in Taza's sales....

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
And unfortunately Bob has indicated Kino (last I heard) was disappointed in Taza's sales....
Back on 7/8/20, Kino's response to "How have sales been for Taza, Son of Cochise?", was "okay". Which could mean satisfactory but not exceptional.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bob has said that if Taza and Wings sell well, four or five more 1950's 3D titles will be released. Kino has said that westerns do not sell well but they are releasing Pillars of the Sky.
And Taza and Wings are also both 3D westerns. Aren't there any titles from other genres from that period that could be released in 3D?

I bought Taza and I'll buy Wings, but I'd likely be more interested in a non-western genre.

Wings is also not yet available for pre-order at the Kino site for some reason.

Reactions: Camps

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
And Taza and Wings are also both 3D westerns. Aren't there any titles from other genres from that period that could be released in 3D?

I bought Taza and I'll buy Wings, but I'd likely be more interested in a non-western genre.

Wings is also not yet available for pre-order at the Kino site for some reason.
There are other 3D titles from the 1950's that are not westerns but, the ones that Kino might have access to are from Universal and I'm pretty sure (I could be wrong) they are westerns.

Last edited:

whyme?

Grip
Real Name
michael mcgee
Can't miss that one...just ordered!
So, I take it this is actually a decent film?

As much as I love 3D, a lot of these 50s films that were filmed in the format are real duds.
not all 3d classics are bad. Sadi Thompson, Kiss Me, Kate, Those Redheads from Seattle , Gog, Money from Home, still 2d only, Mad magician, Taza son of Cochese were all excellent film classic fo the 50's 3 to 3 and a half stars except Kiss me Kate and Sadie were 4 stars. Cat women in the moon, dull and boring, and Robot monster were turkeys as films. Robot monster was so bad that they had to include a 3d short to make up for the poor narrative. Those producers were exploiting the process for quick profit thus hurting it . Now if your not a fan of classic films '50s and earlier that is understandable cause your prefer modern 3d film, like Jurassic world part 1 and 2, probably. The thing is that like seeing a technicolor film in black n white, it was meant to be seen in technicolor -two or three-tone the movie may look bad cause it's not being seen the right way, even though the movie is good . The same thing on widescreen and stereo.Unless one had a binary problem with one's eyes or they only got one eye a 3d movie is meant to be seen in 3d, not 2d. If seen in 2d no matter how much a budget it was made and the acting is good because it's not being seen the proper way it's going to look like a bad movie.Just as Cinerama or Tod AO films are meant to be seen on curve screen or Smilebox because it was made that way.

Camps

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
There are other 3D titles from the 1950's that are not westerns but, the ones that Kino might have access to are from Universal and I'm pretty sure (I could be wrong) they are westerns.
Wings of the Hawk probably represents the end of Universal's deal with Kino for Golden Age 3D titles; the only remaining Golden-Age 3D Universal title that has not received a blu ray release is The Glass Web which, unfortunately, is highly unlikely for a blu ray release due to that annoying music-rights issue.

(And btw HUGE THANKS to Kino and 3D Film Archive for tapping into that Universal library, and for their work with Paramount as well.)

The two remaining libraries with the largest swath of untapped classic-3D titles are Warner Bros., which of course seems uninterested in mining the balance of its classic-3D titles, and Columbia, nearly all of whose remaining titles are westerns. Neither Kino nor 3D Film Archive has a deal for these titles and I'm not expecting one -- especially if Kino Insider's response to sales on Taza was merely "OK."

MGM is the deal Kino should do -- to get us the remaining historic 3D titles Bwana Devil and Diamond Wizard. The classic-3D blu-ray sales trends would suggest they'd sell better than any of the remaining 3D westerns.

Patricia3470

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul B. Scott
I’ve found a lot to like in just about all of the 3D titles of this era. I’m pretty sure I’ve actually seen this one and if it’s the movie I’m thinking of, I remember enjoying it quite a bit.
I understand they have found the original 3 channel Stereo for this release.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Yes, indeed. You'll be hearing the original three-track (left/center/right) magnetic stereophonic sound for the first time anywhere since 1953.

And you'll be seeing the film as Boetticher intended; composed for 1.85:1.

In fact, this was the first feature film composed for that aspect ratio!

There's more information here: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-first-year-of-widescreen

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
.., and Columbia, nearly all of whose remaining titles are westerns. Neither Kino nor 3D Film Archive has a deal for these titles and I'm not expecting one -- especially if Kino Insider's response to sales on Taza was merely "OK."
I was guessing that Kino might do a deal with Sony for their 3D titles (see below) if the sales of Taza and Wings went well.

Fort Ti
Nebraskan
Stranger Wore a Gun
Drums of Tahiti
Jesse James Vs the Daltons

Reactions: ahollis

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnmurphy1969