What's new

WINGS : 1st Academy Award Winner (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hey, I was just looking over my "must own"
titles on DVD, and realized that Wings,
which was the first film to win the Academy Award for
Best Picture is nowhere in sight.
Has anyone heard any thing?
-Mark

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I have not heard of any plans to release it on DVD, but Paramount really should. It's a great movie.
Ironically, this was the first film on Laser Disc to have a digital soundtrack.
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

I saw Wings on TV during a Christmas holiday. There was nothing else on and I thought "ah well, might as well watch this b&W rubbish". For the next hour and a half (I forget how long it actually lasted), I sat spellbound - Wings was one of the best films I've seen, certainly in my top twenty. Absolutely brilliant! I think it was the version that had the new musical score which really added to the onscreen action. Top Gun had nothing on this.
I'd buy it today on DVD if I could!
Regards,
Paul
[Edited last by Paul Butler on November 11, 2001 at 08:57 AM]

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'd like to build a complete collection of Best Picture winners but the studios aren't cooperating. Of the first 11 winners, only 2 (All Quiet On The Western Front (1930), and It Happened One Night (1934)) are currently available.
So I'll chime in. Get Wings released! And then Broadway Melody, Cimarron, Grand Hotel, etc. etc...
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, Paramount has taken the position that silent films are worthless. They are, of course, not so worthless that they would consider actually licensing them to someone who would release them on DVD. Thus, the worst of both worlds.
angry.gif

------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Wings did come out on laserdisc. It would be nice to have it on DVD, as well as "Hell's Angels," an early sound film.

Users who are viewing this thread