Winged Migration: Do I have a bad disc?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by rob kilbride, Nov 24, 2003.

1. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    No one responded to my post in the HTF review thread so I figured I'd try a thread of my own:

I know this is a real anal kind of a question but it will help me understand which types of things are glitches due to a scratch or a bad disc or if its just part of the film. At 57:26 when the massive flock of birds flies from left to right on the screen, the edge of the flock appears to jump as if a frame or two were missing. Is this noticeable to anyone else?
    If so it would obviously prove this is not a dvd related glitch, but I would also like to know if skipping frames is a way a player can deal with bad data and if it is ever noticeable in the fashion I have described above.
    The movie itself was really a marvel to watch. The DVD quality is good but at some times a bit grainy which makes me wonder if the compromised picture quality to accomodate bonus material.

2. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

Mine jumps a frame or two as well. Leading edge of the starling(?) flock jumps. I have a Panasonic DVD player.

3. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    Hi guys

I must have blinked when I reviewed this title because it happened so fast. My copy also has a jump, but seems to look like it goes back a frame. This is not a disc or a player issue, it is in the source element, and my guess it is also on the printmaster.

Michael

4. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    Thanks guys. I figured it probably wasn't a disc problem but I wanted to be sure. With the amount of DVD's I buy and most stores policy of only allowing exchanges within 30 days I try to be as sure as possible about these things.