Wing Chun

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave F, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

2. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

I heard it was ok. The Tai Seng Release (99.9% of the ones for sale are bootlegs now) was ok as well.

The definitive one will be the HKL PAL R2 version, which doesn't seem to have a release date.

3. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

DDDHouse.com has the same artwork, but says it is from DeltaMac released on 12-30-2002 so it is probably the same one.
    That said the DDDHouse price is

4. Chris_Marin

Chris_Marin Stunt Coordinator

We've taken a look at Hong Kong Legend's recent UK release of Wing Chun, a period Woo Ping actioner starring Michelle Yeoh and Donnie Yen. You can read the full review here.

5. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I have a release from Modern which was released back in 2002.

I haven't watched it in awhile, I remember it looking pretty good.

6. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

I believe both WING CHUN and TAI-CHI 2 are from the same "Yuen Woo-Ping's Collection." There could be others.

TAI CHI 2 was directed by Cheung Yam-yim, the man who gave us both SHAOLIN TEMPLE and KIDS FROM SHAOLIN. Yuen Woo-ping handled the choreography.

I just watched SHAOLIN TEMPLE and KIDS FROM SHAOLIN last week and found both to be lacking for films made in 1982 and 1984, respectively. However, considering the former was the first martial arts film made in China since the communist takeover in 1949, and the martial arts performed in both films are free of wire work or editing to hide the seams, I'd still recommend them, with a strong warning about the animal cruelty in SHAOLIN TEMPLE. The acting in both, but particularly the second, is on par with the Little Rascals, or the Judy 'n Mickey "Let's Put On A Show" School of Dramatic Arts, but realizing how far behind the curve mainland cinema was to the rest of the world at the time, this too can be forgiven in context, making it easy to see how these were such monster hits on their home soil, where few if any Hong Kong-style martial arts films were allowed to be shown, and in Hong Kong, where the novelty value of the first mainland-produced martial arts picture (even one with strong financial ties to, and a director from, Hong Kong) must have been through the roof. The scenery in part two is particularly stunning.

7. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Everyone's Wing Chunging tonight?