What's new

Wing Chun (1 Viewer)

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
I heard it was ok. The Tai Seng Release (99.9% of the ones for sale are bootlegs now) was ok as well.

The definitive one will be the HKL PAL R2 version, which doesn't seem to have a release date.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
DDDHouse.com has the same artwork, but says it is from DeltaMac released on 12-30-2002 so it is probably the same one.
That said the DDDHouse price is

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
We've taken a look at Hong Kong Legend's recent UK release of Wing Chun, a period Woo Ping actioner starring Michelle Yeoh and Donnie Yen. You can read the full review here.

quote:

Snippet:

An average, uninvolving story line is bolstered by some stunning action from Woo-Ping and his stars, making this a worthy addition to the collections of fans of either him, Michelle Yeoh or Donnie Yen. However, this may not be the film to get if you are new to Hong Kong action cinema, as the storyline quickly becomes rather dull.

Another solid package from Hong Kong Legends, giving Wing Chun a technically pleasing video and audio presentation, and another great collection of bonus material. If you've been following HKL's past releases, then you know exactly what to expect, and when it can be picked up for less than a tenner, I'd say that it'd be worth checking out.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I have a release from Modern which was released back in 2002.

I haven't watched it in awhile, I remember it looking pretty good.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I believe both WING CHUN and TAI-CHI 2 are from the same "Yuen Woo-Ping's Collection." There could be others.

TAI CHI 2 was directed by Cheung Yam-yim, the man who gave us both SHAOLIN TEMPLE and KIDS FROM SHAOLIN. Yuen Woo-ping handled the choreography.

I just watched SHAOLIN TEMPLE and KIDS FROM SHAOLIN last week and found both to be lacking for films made in 1982 and 1984, respectively. However, considering the former was the first martial arts film made in China since the communist takeover in 1949, and the martial arts performed in both films are free of wire work or editing to hide the seams, I'd still recommend them, with a strong warning about the animal cruelty in SHAOLIN TEMPLE. The acting in both, but particularly the second, is on par with the Little Rascals, or the Judy 'n Mickey "Let's Put On A Show" School of Dramatic Arts, but realizing how far behind the curve mainland cinema was to the rest of the world at the time, this too can be forgiven in context, making it easy to see how these were such monster hits on their home soil, where few if any Hong Kong-style martial arts films were allowed to be shown, and in Hong Kong, where the novelty value of the first mainland-produced martial arts picture (even one with strong financial ties to, and a director from, Hong Kong) must have been through the roof. The scenery in part two is particularly stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruavain
Recent bookmarks