WinDVD

Discussion in 'Computers' started by mike_frontier, Oct 2, 2003.

1. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

For some ODD reason I can't get WinDVD (software) to run right while watching dvd movies using it. While watching the movies on it, it acts like as if the dvd is skipping and hesistates while is play (both video and sound). But then I use my radion DvD player software and its all good.
    I wonder if WinDVD does not like intergrated sound cards or something like that?

Weird... It happens on my Compaq Laptop also. W/ my laptop I have to use WindowMedia.

Anyone know what the errror could be??
    Thanks
    MF

2. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

What are the specifications of your computer? This could be a problem with your machine rather than the program.

3. mike_frontier

I built my PC.

Its an AMD 2200+ CPU w/ 256mb ram, Video Card is an Radion DDR 32mb (beta version) (drivers are updated for the video card) 80 gig HD 7200RPM.

4. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I get this same problem on my new Dell notebook computer, which is a P4-2.2GHz, 768MB RAM. Video card has 64MB RAM (I think it's the GeForce) and the soundcard is integrated into the mobo. I haven't tried other DVD viewing programs though.

5. mike_frontier

Oh the specs above is my desktop PC. My Laptop has same problems and its an AMD Duron 1ooo mhz with 256K ram. 16X dvd player.

6. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

Had the same problem with my Toshiba but a fresh install of the windvd software and an update from their website fixed the problems. Good luck.

7. stewart borland

stewart borland Stunt Coordinator

I 'upgraded to WinDVD4 and had a complete disaster - it was awful and their support desk couldn't solve it. Eventually it indirectly led to a total reformat of my hard drive.
    I lost the downloaded program and when I went back to the site a couple of weeks later found version 5!!
    After a long stuggle I got a refund for 4 and 5 has worked fine. (windows XP)

8. DavidBL

DavidBL Stunt Coordinator

Can't speak to the original post since it seems he can get it to work with other software, but the first thing to check if you have this problem is to make sure that your DVD drive controller is set to use DMA (direct memory access) and not something else. You have to poke around the Device Manager a bit to access these settings.

I had to change this setting on my Compaq laptop. Before the change, my CPU load was running 80-90% while a DVD played (and I got choppy play), after changing to DMA I got perfect play and the CPU load was 25-40%.

9. Tony_Ramos

Tony_Ramos Second Unit

This is symptomatic of the player and not the hardware, as he can play DVDs fine in his other player.

WinDVD has so many glitches that it is difficult to troubleshoot based on the little information he gave us, (yes, even the 5 Platinum version, which I have many, many hours experience with, is extremely buggy, although they are releasing new point releases every week). Not only that, there are so many machine specific settings that can cause stutter that HTPC'ing is only for the hardcore, as troubleshooting and tweaking takes countless hours.

Fortunatley, WinDVD is also the best decoder out there in terms of quality and film-likeness (the other being Sonic which is included with TheaterTek).

Some general tips:

-turn on hardware decode acceleration in the settings tab and see if that improves
    =turn on DMA as the previous poster said
    -turn off background programs including those running in your system tray (go to start menu /run and type msconfig.exe. under startup tab, you can cull startup folders)
    -turn off any audio and video options you do not need
    -under the display tab, set to "Force Weave"
    -turn on Hyperthreading in your BIOS, as WinDVD 5 can take advantage of it

Go to AVSForum's HTPC forum and post your information: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=26

If they cannot solve your problem, no one can.

your last resort is to ocntinue using your other player or try out PowerDVD and TheaterTek before purchasing one of them, as they are the other two best players for newbies.

Fior the ultimate playback (but REQUIRES hours tweaking and a license to another player), use Zoom Player Professional with WinDVD codecs.

10. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

I run WinDVD 4 on two computers. My home computer is as follows:

Pentium 4 3.06 GHz
    Windows XP Professional
    Nvidia GeForce 4 128 MB RAM
    512 MB DDR RAM
    240 GB HD

My work computer is as follows:

Pentium 4 2.00 GHz
    Windows XP Professional
    Nvidia GeForce 2 64 MB RAM
    256 MB DDR RAM
    100 GB HD

The program works perfectly on both machines. I have never encountered a single bug.