What's new

Windtalkers specs? (1 Viewer)

ChrisR

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody have any news on the specs for the 10/15 release of Windtalkers?

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
DVD File has the specs:
2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen
5.1 Dolby surround
Production notes
2 theatrical trailers
Also, can anyone confirm the release date? I have heard October 22nd, November 19th, and October 15th from different sources.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
This is too bad. I can think of at least two scenes that were in the trailer. One of them would deepened the relationship between Cage's character and the nurse. I was hoping to get another release like Hart's War.

Rollo Lee

Agent
What the hell? It's one of the few big budget spectacle flicks on MGM's slate and the type of film that can generate steady DVD/home video interest and what does MGM do? Give it a bare-bones release. Brilliant. John Woo was a dumb ass for signing up with these jokers.

Han

Second Unit
Note to studios- just because a movie fails in the boxoffice doesn't necessarily mean that we won't want to see extras on its' subsequent release on DVD. In fact, it will likely enhance sales and rentals. Come on MGM...smarten up.
Case and point, Fight Club.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
They could have at least added a documenatry about the real Code Talkers. I enjoyed the movie in the theater and would have loved some extras on the DVD. I was actually looking forward to a commentary on this one.
A movie like PEARL HARBOR gets super treatment and this gets a bare bones release.
I know every release doesn't deserve special treatment but it would have been nice to see Windtalkers get a little better. I'll buy the movie anyway. My father loved it. He's a fan of all the old war movies.

Matt

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
It sure seems strange that the R1 release wouldn't have any special features.
Especially when the R2-UK disc is going to have at least two commentary tracks. www.bbfc.co.uk has recently classified two commentaries for Windtalkers:
Audio commentary by Nicolas Cage and Christian Slater
Audio commentary by Roger Willie and Albert Smith
Hopefully the R1 specs that have been floating around are false, and there will be a special edition.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully the R1 specs that have been floating around are false, and there will be a special edition.
I am starting to think that is possible, because it has almost been a week sense DVD File posted the specs, and nothing official has been announced.

BobG

Stunt Coordinator
The Windtalkers trailer on the Harts War DVD advertises Windtalkers Special Edition in Winter 2002

A commentary with Nic Cage Christian Slater would be awesome.

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
I'm thinking maybe a commentary with all of the people who were involved in the film saying "I'm sorry" over and over again would be a fitting special feature.

Or maybe a featurette on the stock footage they used? That would rock.

Seriously, this film was so aweful, MGM did the smart thing and they didn't pour a bunch of money into a DVD that is going to sell poorly. It'll sell well initially to the people who feel they just HAVE to own this DVD (JW fan, Nic Cage fan, whatever the reason), and then sales are going to evaporate.

This film is not an example of a movie which just didn't find it audience in the theater (ala: The Thing, Fight Club), it's an example of really bad Hollywood garbage.

MGM would have done better to spend the $100 Million budget for this film on licencing Bullet in the Head (away from Disney) and fixing that film up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks