What's new

windstorms...should I unplug? (1 Viewer)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Here in Seattle we are currently getting hit with a pretty bad wind storm. Everything in my home theater is currently turned off but still plugged in. The lights keep on flickering so I am concerned about power spikes. Should I unplug everything or is it okay to leave plugged in as long as it is not on? I ask because many modern electronic devices are not completely off even when turned off.

thanks for the reply's
Chris

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Are you using any sort of power-line conditioner or maybe even a surge protector? If there's no lightning involved with the storm, I wouldn't be too concerned. But if achieving peace of mind is as simple as unplugging your equipment, I'd go ahead and do so.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I am using a cheap surge protector but nothing else. I am sure it is not all that affective. I decided to unplug it just now for piece of mind. No lightning is present but lots of power drop offs from tree branches falling around the area.

I have a lot of spare equipment so I would not care if some of my stuff got killed but I don't want to loose my precious Toshiba 57HDX82. Because of my set up it is also the hardest to unplug.

During lightning storms I unplug everything but I was never sure about windstorms. In the past I always turn off all important electronics during windstorms but never unplugged anything.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
As long as you don't have an antennae hooked up outside you'll probably be safe by unplugging your lead to the wall socket. On my gear I have a short extension cord(6', ) running from the wall socket out to where I can have access to the power strip. If I have to shut down the system, I turn off the power strip , then unplug it from the 3 prong extension cord,without having to get behind the entertainment center.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
One thing to consider, besides lightning, is the power surge that occurs when the power has been off and it suddenly comes back on.

I'd unplug for peace of mind. And get a good surge protector.

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks