What's new

Windshield repair? (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Picked up a rock chip on my windshield yesterday afternoon, a star about the size of a nickel. So far it hasn't spread.

I was wondering if anyone could share their experience with repairs on this sort of thing. I know there's a process for repairing this sort of thing now and was concerned if there would be any significant distortion in the glass at the site of the repair.

We have a guy that comes out to the dealership where I work that does these repairs on the used cars, but I've never looked at the results so don't really know how successful they are.

Thanks in advance!

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I had a rock chip on my pickup windshield when I bought it used. it was relatively small(about pencil eraser size) and I took it to a local guy that does the repairs. He looked at it and said it had already been filled in. I can't see that it helped much, or maybe it was just done wrong, but I wouldn't waste your money on it unless it might help reduce cracking in the glass.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I had a chip repair done on my last car. Cosmetically, I didn't see where it accomplished anything, you could still see the chip and small crack in the glass. But it never got any bigger.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I had a chip repaired some years ago. The insurance waived the deductable and covered it, which wasn't very expensive. My understanding was if the area affected was less than, or about the area of a dime, that it could successfully be filled. You will however still see the damaged area, but it won't get worse. In my case, although I was annoyed because it occurred on a brand new 1 month old car, I had it for about 6 years afterwards and it never got any worse. The impact on the windshield was very low and was not in the line of sight over the hood.

If you want to save the windshield, I'd have it looked at.

Denward

Supporting Actor
When I had mine repaired, my insurance agent said that as long as it wasn't in an area deemed to be in the driver's direct sight line, then a repair is legal. Don't expect the repair to make it invisible. The filling is intended to stabilize the defect and prevent cracks from radiating out from it.

I believe most insurers will pay for 100% of the repair since that's cheaper for them. You can choose to have a new windshield, but then you have to pay your deductible.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The repair guy's gonna come out to my workplace tomorrow and do it. It's the same company that does our used cars.
It's only going to cost $25 so I'm not even going to tell the insurance company. The chip actually looked smaller this morning than it did yesterday.

I really don't want a replacement windshield, as this one has absolutely no distortion or waviness whatsoever, the first windshield I've had on any car that was this perfect in that respect. All the glass on the car is stamped "Sekurit" which I thought was a European outfit, though the car was built in Hiroshima. The chip is not in the normal line of sight, kinda low maybe 5" up from the bottom edge. I could tolerate it as long as it doesn't spread, it just bugs me 'cause the car's only a month old and has no other scratches or whatever on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks