What's new

"Winds of War" & "War and Remembrance" (1 Viewer)

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Interesting trivia note: Jan-Michael Vincent played Robert Mitchum's son previously in the 1971 film GOING HOME.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Katherine_K said:
I own all three sets (War and Remembrance comes in two volumes).
Katherine, and HTF'er fans of these 2 miniseries: I just finished viewing the WoW set ("Wow" is right :emoji_thumbsup:). What a series! I haven't seen this one since its original airing. Mom and I watched it and since she's been to Rome (and experienced the WWII era in her late teens & early 20's & worked while in college at the Oak Ridge plant) she got more out of this show than I did. Now, I need some help with the sequel series, WaR. I see 3 listings at Amason for WaR and I want to be sure and get the complete miniseries as originally aired. Amason lists these sets:
WaR Vol 1 (Pt 1-7) Running Time 810 Min Mpi released 08/31/04
WaR Vol 2 (Pt 8-12) Running Time 690 Min Mpi released 08/31/04
WaR "Final Chapter" Running Time 690 Min Mpi released 03/25/03
The question I have is about the "Final Chapter" release. Is it the last part of the WaR series or is it something else (ie a "condensed"/combined version of the 2-volume sets? It's a little confusing to me since the Amazon write-up for the "Final Chapter" set seems to indicate that it's the same set as the "Vol 2" (Pt 8-12) set.
After comparing running times, I think I answered my own question :rolleyes
since the "Final Chapter" set running time is identical to the Vol 2 set but was released at an earlier date than Vol 2 (Pt 8-12) and it's listed at Amazon as one of those "available from these sellers" sets.
Since it appears to be identical to the Vol 2 set, I wonder why it was re-released as Vol 2 in '04? The only difference I spotted from the Amazon listings is that the "Final Chapter" was an anamorphic release. Does that mean that it was a better xfr release and better video quality than the Vol 2 release? Does anyone here have the "Final Chapter" version?
I noticed that DDD has a combined set for sale (Vol 1 & 2) for $120.76 but there's no cover art or any other info posted at their site for this set. I'd be inclinded to get the Vol 1 & 2 (or "Final Chapter" used) at Amazon because of that.
Having not seen WaW and not read the book, it'll be an interesting comparison regarding the cast changes. I have a feeling that I'll have a harder time adjusting to the absence of John Houseman but I'll see how it goes.
The posts here help me with good "pre-viewing" info, Thanks, all.
Since WoW was outstanding, I'm going to get the WaR set in spite of the sub-par xfrs. I guess if this one gets a re-mastered release, I'll chalk up the $$'s as "Oh well...."Double-Dip" time :eek:

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I believe they are the same release. My volume 2 has "the Final Chapter" subtitle on the cover.

Sadly as important as this miniseries was at the time it was broadcast, I think it's been forgotten by the world. Ashame because it really is a wonderful story (and was when I read the books as well). I wouldn't count on there being another release of this, so I wouldn't put too much concern into having to double dip.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
There has never been an anamorphic release of the series, it was, like all TV until recently, 4:3, so an anamorphic transfer would crop it terribly. I've already seen this cropping done with a couple of Australian miniseries I've bought (Bangkok Hilton and Vietnam, both with Nicole Kidman) and I'm terrified that when 16:9 TVs become the norm, we'll start finding 4:3 films and TV shows cropped to 16:9.

No risk here, however, both WOW and WAR are 4:3 DVDs

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Finally some discussion about these 2 probably greatest mini-series ever made. They´re simply put: Superb.
For those who are wondering, specs can be found here (all info from my own copies):
**Winds of War (The) (mini-series) (1983)
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=5500
**War and Remembrance (mini-series) Vol.1 (1988)
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=7237
**War and Remembrance (mini-series) Vol.2 - The Final Chapter (1988)
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=7973
One problem is, that the quality on "War and Remembrance" could be better (for that price!). The transfer is a bit murky and somewhat compressed.
"The Winds of War" fares better, since it´s from Paramount ("War and Remembrance" is from "MPI Home Video").
4:3 is definitely the OAR. These are not meant to be seeing in 1.85:1.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
SteveJKo said:
The debate on who played who better is something I gave up a long time ago. I've come to the conclusion that everyone in the cast in both series offered something unique to their character, though I do have my personal favorites..
I agree. It´s kinda strange, but these cast changes doesn´t have huge affect on the overall quality, nor even the continuity for that matter. Sure, you´ll miss certain characters for a while, but then you get used to them (=new ones) (at least most of them). I do like Jan-Michael Vincent over Hart Bochner and despite the fact that both John Houseman & John Gielgud ("Aaron Jastrow") are stunning actors, for me Gielgud has the minor edge (even when Houseman first created the character). I also loved Jeremy Kemp! Ali MacGraw and Jane Seymour were a bit different, but both fit quite perfectly for the part. In the end, Seymour has the minor edge as "an actress", IMO. On the other hand, MacGraw has that certain unique "presence".
In the end, what a cast. :)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Jari, thanks for the info. I recently viewed WoW for the 1st time since its original airing with someone else and we loved that one. I bought the complete RaR sets at DDD's recent sale but haven't started viewing that one yet. I was a little concerned about the cast changes but since I'm familiar with all of the actors in both series, it will only be a matter of getting used to the replacements as you said. It's good to hear that the MPI sets aren't a big drop-off in Xfr quality from the WoW set.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
bobbd said:
The first several discs contain a stereo track—at least the musical score is in stereo. There are even some moments of actual dynamic range in the score, but the dialog and sound effects seem to be mixed in the center. However, several discs into the series, the sound seems to revert back to mono.
Interesting, thanks for the info. I probably tested the first episode (WaR) with "Pro Logic" from my receiver, and I could hear some activity in the rear channels (which IMO means that the sound is not Mono - with "Pro Logic" and Mono, the sound comes only in the front center channel). Do you remember when (which episode) it "changes" from Stereo to Mono?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Jari K said:
Do you remember when (which episode) it "changes" from Stereo to Mono?
Chapter 8 is where it switches to mono. Or more simply put: Vol. 1 is dolby surround and Vol 2(The Final Chapter) is mono.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I've noticed that the quality on Vol. 2 is inferior to Vol. 1. I'm thinking Vol. 1 was remastered but Vol. 2 may not have been. Which would be an alternate explanation as to why Vol. 2 was mono.
htf_imgcache_9406.jpeg

htf_imgcache_9407.jpeg

The difference is especially noticable in the end credits:
htf_imgcache_9408.jpeg

htf_imgcache_9409.jpeg

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Katherine_K said:
You opinion is your opinion. My point is that MacGraw was the more faithful interpretation of the character to the books and Jane Seymore's performance completely changes the character. I don't think when there are two actors playing the same role it's invalid to question which one is closer to the character from the original source material. It is a matter of preference.
Except for the fact that she's about 15-20 years too old for the part. Ali was like 45 when this was shot. Love to know how she was having a baby at that age back then. And JM Vincent is almost 40, also 15-20 years too old. I love how they refer to him as "young" in the miniseries. Young? Compared to what?

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder to what extent that scenes were cut from the two series when they were transferred to DVD? I seem to recall a moment in the original WoW where Pug, during a conversation with Roosevelt, was asked by Roosevelt to go to Russia. Upon hearing the request, Pug balks at the idea, after which Roosevelt seems to be annoyed. Pug, noticing this, immediately agrees to the president's request. I don't remember seeing this in the DVD version. Also, in W&R, I believe that there was a scene in the original showing the aftermath of a ship sinking by the submarine Devil Fish, where Lady Astor is pretty callous toward the survivors of the ship he had just torpedoed. Byron was visibly affected by Astor's actions. This, too, was not in the DVD. Am I wrong about this or has the DVD set been shortened to some extent?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
John,

I believe that both scenes you mentioned are in the DVD releases. I remember both scenes when I watched both sets recently.

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff

You're absolutely correct. Had I delved a bit further into my W&R set, I would have discovered those two scenes myself. Thanks for your comments.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"War and Remembrance: The Complete Epic Mini-Series" is now re-released by MPI. Based on the pictures, it´s just a re-package (vol.1&vol.2). Anyone can confirm this? Any reviews?

http://www.amazon.com/War-Remembrance-Complete-Epic-Mini/dp/B001CDLATY/

Based on the back cover, it has previous extras + CD soundtrack (not sure about "ABC TV-spots", though).

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?item_id=1416244&tab=5&back=1&anchor=1#topoftabs

bgshap

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Shapiro
Are there any plans to release either Winds of War or War and Remembrance on Blue-Ray?

babsjc

Auditioning
Real Name
B Olsen
Aloha Brian
your links to rewind gave me the specific RUN TIME information I was looking for on the W&R DISCS
Mahalo
the coconut wireless

Dub Taylor

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Orcutt
We just watched WoW from Netflix, and we are in the middle of WaR, and both scenes you mention are present, but I can't recall now which part of the miniseries they are in.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I decided to purchased Winds of War as it has been at least 30 years since I watched the mini-series on tv.

I have just watched two episodes as such it still amazing the acting, especially Robert Mitchum!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks