What's new

Windows XP (1 Viewer)

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I got Windows XP Pro and I want to install it. I currently have Windows 98. Do I have to un-install 98 to install XP. Will XP cause me to lose any files such as my mp3s and such? What should I worry about before installing it?

Brian E

Screenwriter
A clean install is always the best option. This option will however cause you to lose any files that aren't backed up somewhere else.

That said XP does seem to be more successfull than past versions when just upgrading.

Either put the disc in and run the update wizard, or whatever it's called, or run the wizard on MS's site to see if it detects any possible problems with your system. Make sure there are new drivers for the various components in your box.

Be sure to have drivers downloaded for at least the things you'll need to get back online (modem, nic, etc).

If you post your actual system info we might be able to give more info.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have done an upgrade over Win ME and I had to download updated drivers for my keyboard and my scanner. Other than that and a few other minor issues, it went cleanly.

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have more than one hard drive/partition? If so, you can install XP to a different partition than your '98 install creating what's called a dual boot.

Boot up with your XP disc in the cdrom drive. You should get an option to "boot from cd" by pressing any key during the boot process. Do this, then when XP asks you which drive to install to pick the drive '98 isn't on.

For example, if '98 is installed on C: and you also have a D: drive. Choose to install on D:. After the install is complete you will have an option during boot up to boot to either XP or '98.

In this configuration you can still get online with your '98 install and download drivers, patches, etc for the XP install if there are any problems. You can also use the file and settings transfer wizard in XP to transfer your favorites, etc to the new install. Once you're happy with your XP setup, just delete the '98 install.

If you don't currently have a multi drive/partition setup, you can create extra partitions on your existing drive with Partition Magic or similar software.

Anders Englund

Second Unit
I upgraded from ME to XP. The ME installation was fairly clean, and the upgrade went smothly. But the result turned out to be less than smooth. It kept locking up, it was slow for no apparent reason, etc. Finally, I wiped the drive and made a clean install.

No problems since then. The most stable Windows version to date.

--Anders

Howie D

Stunt Coordinator
Rich, this is what I do for a living and doing a clean upgrade is the best way to go. I've tested both clean installs and in place upgrades and have found that an "in place" upgrade will have much less performance and have more issues than a clean install.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Clean install is the only option IMHO. Backup user files, nuke the partition, re-partition, format, install fresh.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, fresh OS install.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks