Windows XP start up is so darn sloooww..need advice

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Alf S, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    My parents 2 year old XP-Home, 2.08mhz AMD Athlon w/ 512 memory HP Pavillion seems to be slowing down at start up in recent months.

I turned it on tonight and from the minute the baby blue screen that says "Windows is starting up..." it takes 1 minute 10 seconds to get to the desktop. From the press of the power button to desktop takes a TOTAL of at least 2 minutes...(An eternity I know [​IMG])

I remember when it MAYBE took a total of a minute from the press of the power button, to the desktop. My current XP system is loaded with stuff (Norton etc), and it's start up is a fraction of the time of theirs.

They haven't added anything new to it other than got a better printer, but it was slow before that.

They do have McAfee Security center running, and not much else at start up going. I've gone to msconfig and unchecked all unwanted programs at startup I could find, but still no speed change. I uninstalled MSN Exploer/Messenger from ADD/REMOVE and I also run virus scan and Ad Aware and nothing strange comes up. Oh and I defragged etc and still nothing.

I downloaded Bootvis program, but have no idea how to correctly use it.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what else may be hanging up start up process?

Thanks in advance.
    Alfer

2. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    MS had a program called BootVis.exe to speed this up, looks like they have taken it down from the MS site but search the web, it worked good too.

3. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Update:

A website posts the bootvis program and I downloaded it fine...I put it on my machine and sure enough thanks to Google, I figured out all I need to do is click "Trace"-"Optimize System"...like magic my PC was optimized in under 10 minutes.

Now back to mom and dad's to try it there.

Wish me luck

Alfer

4. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    For reference, you might post the link to the dl here, good luck.[​IMG]

5. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
  6. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Thanks for the links Alf...I'll have to try bootvis too, it takes a billion years to boot.

8. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but I finally found what was taking my system so long to log into XP thanks to sp2.

My machine used to take a good minute or so from actually logging into windows to allowing you to interact with anything. Since my DSL connection was set to manually dial, I always figured that it was the NAV auto update that was timing out and eating the system resources for that time. Turns out that it was actually a mistake in the network configuration. It turns out that when I configured my DSL connection for DHCP, it also configured my LAN connection for DHCP at the same time. Since I don't have a DHCP server, it was timing out on trying to obtain a local IP address. Assigned it an arbitrary local IP, and it fixed everything. Yes, this was a stupid mistake, and if I'd just bothered to look at the event log I could have figured it out, but since I rebooted so infrequently I just sort of ignored/forgot about it.

Anyhow, something else to check in case you're having similar problems.

9. Michael Cawcutt

Take a look at BOOTVIS

also if your familiar with ANY of the programs that are on your computer.. click start -- run --

type in [ msconfig ]

click no startup

unclick ALL that you do not need to startup. Some common startups are NortonAnti-Virus or antivirus software

unclick unwanted programs like AOLim, MSN, etc. etc.
    if you are unsure what something is than don't unclick it otherwise click away and your computer will boot or start windows alot quicker