Windows XP-SP2 > Problematic!!!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Kachi Khatri, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Kachi Khatri

Kachi Khatri Second Unit

Jay
    I just had to vent....about the f!@#$%g XP-SP2!

My advice...don't do it! SP2 is known to create havoc on many software utilities, firewalls, anti-virus suites and much more. I hear too many horror stories. I just did mine in the weekend and my image files are not working. System hangs everytime I make an attemp to select an image file and open it.

I ran Adawre & Spybot...no changes. I also did the system file check with the original Windows CD. There is no corrupt files.

I have to admit that my 98SE worked better than this crap!

I've posted my problem in the microsoft newsgroup, just have to wait and see.

I won't be surprised to find Microsoft working on SP3 to fix numerous fallouts.

2. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Sorry to hear about all the issues. I have been holding off upgrading to avoid the issues. Here's a little Microsoft joke to lighten the mood. Enjoy.

Kenneth

If Restaurants Functioned Like Microsoft...

Patron: Waiter!
    Waiter: Hi, my name is Bill, and I'll be your Support. Waiter. What seems to be the problem?

Patron: There's a fly in my soup!
    Waiter: Try again, maybe the fly won't be there this time.

Patron: No, it's still there.
    Waiter: Maybe it's the way you're using the soup. Try eating it with a fork instead.

Patron: Even when I use the fork, the fly is still there.
    Waiter: Maybe the soup is incompatible with the bowl. What kind of bowl are you using?

Patron: A SOUP bowl!
    Waiter: Hmmm, that should work. Maybe it's a configuration problem. How was the bowl set up?

Patron: You brought it to me on a saucer. What has that to do with the fly in my soup?!
    Waiter: Can you remember everything you did before you noticed the fly in your soup?

Patron: I sat down and ordered the Soup of the Day!
    Waiter: Have you considered upgrading to the latest Soup of the Day?

Patron: You have more than one Soup of the Day each day??
    Waiter: Yes, the Soup of the Day is changed every hour.

Patron: Well, what is the Soup of the Day now?
    Waiter: The current Soup of the Day is tomato.

Patron: Fine. Bring me the tomato soup, and the check. I'm running late now.

[waiter leaves and returns with another bowl of soup and the check]
    Waiter: Here you are, Sir. The soup and your check.

Patron: This is potato soup.
    Waiter: Yes, the tomato soup wasn't ready yet.

Patron: Well, I'm so hungry now, I'll eat anything.
    [waiter leaves.]
    Patron: Waiter! There's a gnat in my soup!

The check:
    Soup of the Day . . . . . . . . . . $5.00
    Upgrade to newer Soup of the Day. . $2.50
    Access to support . . . . . . . . . $1.00
    [​IMG]

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I'm sorry you've had trouble, but honestly this is one of the most successful Microsoft updates ever. I've got it running on 6 computers with no problems. "Create havoc" with "utilities, firewalls, anti-virus" is a little extreme. There are some well documented problems, but most have relatively simple work-arounds. Search the "Computers & HTPC" forum here and you'll see that while there have been several problems, most have not had trouble at all. Not to mention the benefits of things like the new IE pop-up blocker (for those users who are still using IE).

EDIT: I just wanted to note quickly that I hate Microsoft as much as the next guy. I would be running Linux on my computers if I wasn't required to have MS products for my classes.

4. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

My Spybot no longer runs now that I've downloaded SP2. I will reinstall it and have another go.

It can't be worse than 98SE though! That OS sucked arse big time!

5. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Microslob's long term plan seems to be to make computers ever more vulnerable to problems, by continually adding to complexity, speed and power, with the inevitable costs of friction and incompatibilities.

I don't look foward to upgrading.

6. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

While the load of SP2 to my machine was uneventful, something strange happened a few days ago and I can't be certain but I feel that it may be related. I still use ad-aware and ad-watch, after picking up an update to these products, my machine went goofey on me. It lost the ties between all .exe and .lnk extensions to their programs. After a few days of playing around and web searching, I found this site http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm. It has many registry fixes for problems with specific file extensions. Maybe this will help.
    I run Norton anti-virus, ZLID firewall and the aforementions ad-aware as well as Spybot. I wonder if SP2 was really necessary in my case ? BTW, I turned off the windows firewall and other stuff as I feel that my machine is fairly well protected (fingers crossed).

7. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

do a fresh install along with SP2 and your pc will run like a dream,SP2 made my pc run like ass before I got around to reinstallin and now it runs awesomely, i just disable the lame firewall they give you and kill the security center process along with the normal abundant amount of WinXP tweaks and its good to go. Just remember to make a nice new Ghost image of your drive and you can format whenever you want without loosing anything.

8. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    I suppose everybody will have different experiences with SP2 but the 7 machines I am responsible for didn't have any problems with the update. I didn't bother will a clean install, just went through Windows update.

-Keith

9. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

yeah well I generally never have any issues with my pc, but hey as you know it can happen something gets copied or overwritten or corrupted in the process and you just pull your hair out tryin to figure it out sometimes, With a ghost image it takes very little time to reinstall. So I never sweat it to much. Althou for the average everyday pc person that will be alot of work.

10. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Kenneth that's some funny shit, bro. [​IMG]

11. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    A few weeks of SP2 on my PC and no problems (knock on wood [​IMG])

12. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I've had problems putting SP2 on two machines (of the ten or so I've done), and here's what those two had in common-

both laptops, a couple years old, with 256MB RAM.
    both owned by people who don't understand how to keep a machine reasonably virus-free, spyware-free, and somewhat up to date.[​IMG]

Other than those two (one of the laptops simply WILL NOT take the SP2 upgrade- locks up in the middle of install every time), others have been fine. I installed it on my machine I just built, as part of the initial install, and it runs like a dream.

I'm glad MS is finally looking at seriously plugging some of the security holes.

Todd

13. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Try slipstreaming. Basically, you download the full 200+MB version of SP2, rip your (presumably legal) copy of XP to your hard drive, integrate them together, and burn the resulting files or image onto another disc. Instant XP w/SP2 disc. I had no end of problems when I did it via Windows Update or offline over SP1, but it works like a charm on my fresh install. I couldn't tell you why, though...

ETA: Forgot to mention that doing a Google search for "slipstream SP2" should come up with a plethora of sites. I used the guide from Tom's Hardware, but check out a few and see which is easiest to follow.

14. Ron C

Ron C Stunt Coordinator

Mine was successful, except for one annoyance. It keeps bugging me that the software firewall has been turn it off. I turned it off(i have a router) and checked the box that says I have my own firewall, thinking that it would stop bothering me. Anyone have any experience with this?

15. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Go to settings->control panel->admin tools->services and turn off the security center.

16. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Mine had no problems.

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

No problems here.

18. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

as i stated in another thread. i am happy with my security measures as they stand right now with my updated sp1 install, pop up blocker, hardware firewall anti-virus and spyware protection. i will apply sp2 when they work out a few more kinks.

19. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

SP2 killed my ability to use two external firewire drives. Manually copying over the SP1 1394 drivers fixed it. Stupid SP2!

20. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Just installed XP on my newly upgrades system.

I basically went with what I've heard most techs say... if you are starting with a clean install, the upgrade is worth it. If you are installing to an XP install that has been in use for some time, you might want to wait.

Regardless, it's fast and flawless so far. Lovin' XP. [​IMG]