Windows XP Service Pack 2 is Available to All

Rob Gillespie

Producer
Reaction score
I found the SP2 firewall to be a bit haphazard. I run ZoneAlarm Pro anyway so have no need for it.

The Security Centre kept nagging me about my anti-virus not working correctly. I run BitDefender but turn part of the VirusShield system off so as not waste too much resources. SP2 doesn't like that and insists there's something wrong with it.

Then when Far Cry wouldn't play I gave up and Ghost'd back to SP1.

There are already reports about security problems with SP2. NONE of the clients we work with are considering it yet. It's simply too early and too unknown.

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
i just turned all the warnings off in the security center. i think it seems a bit peppier too.

Chris

Lead Actor
Reaction score

Really? I haven't run into this issue yet; got it with my 6800GT and am enjoying it!

I agree on the windows firewall; why bother? I'm using a Netgear Prosafe model here at the house; and if I needed to, the motherboard I'm using (NF3 250Gb board) has hardware firewall built in.. *shrug* I just leave it turned off and tell it not to check it.

Rob Gillespie

Producer
Reaction score

No, support for SP1 doesn't end for another two years and it may well get extended after that. They'll probably be an SP3 by that point. Support for Windows XP Pro with no Service Pack expires at the end of next month.

Alf S

Banned
BANNED
Reaction score
Real Name
Alfer
Knock on wood, all's well with me and my new SP.

Installed it last night and couldn't find any weird conflicts so far.

I have Norton AV 2003 running and no other firewalls except XP's.

In the "Security Center" all it shows is that the free virus scanner "AVG" is running, but no mention of Norton.

IF by chance something goes tet's up, can I do a system restore point I created a few minutes before I downloaded SP2 and be ok?

Alfer

todbnla

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd
Just wondering, does any of you guys that have sp2, show that your PC has SP2 if you go to the newer version Windows Update center and check previously downloaded files?
I have SP2 and it does not...?

It works fine but just wondering?

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Reaction score

How does one do this? I can't find anything in the security center that says not to check any of my security settings. The security setting I hate most is the automatic updates, and I can't figure out how to turn it off without having the red warning appear.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Is there any difference between the free SP2 CD that I got at office depot compared to the download version? I think I heard that microsoft said it were shipping to retail stores, but delayed the web update, not sure if anything has changed in the web update version.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
What's better? The new Windows Firewall? Or the Sygate Personal Firewall I've been running for years?

Lee Scoggins

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Lee

This is my dilemma. I run Symantec utilities and security suite and I paid a bunch of money for them so I'm not inclined to do anything that will interfere with them or cause glitches.

By the way, someone intimated that some of us were "computer illiterate" earlier. Well not in my case. I own a software company that build machine learning models so I know my way around the PC.

I've just been around long enough to be extra careful with Microsoft software. I know some of their senior executives and they build software by throwing money at people at the problem and then thoroughly test the software before and after the release. It is a triumph of lines of code over quality and conciseness and elegance. I run my company the other way.

Francois Caron

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Website
thecanadianpublic.com
Real Name
François Caron
I installed SP2 on my home computer last night. It did "break" something: OpenVPN 1.6. The TAP-Win32 virtual network adapter would not show up in the notification area or in the network connections folder. It was listed in the device manager page, but it wasn't really doing anything useful.

I uninstalled 1.6 and installed version 2.0 beta 11. Nice piece of software! It retained my original configuration and key files so I didn't need to reinstall them. And the connection to the office network is working again.

I also disabled the firewall/connection sharing service since I use a firewall router. The less useless components left running in the background, the better.

Rob Gillespie

Producer
Reaction score
I've reinstalled my main box today with a slipstreamed version of XP SP2. Looks a bit better behaved this time and FarCry has had no problems at all.

However I have disabled the new Security Center. I couldn't see any real reason to keep it going so I just disabled the service. I suppose that begs the question why bother to have SP2 at all, but there's a lot of other bug fixes and minor additions that I wanted to keep. I rarely use Internet Explorer, but that has also been tightened up a little bit so at least I wont get quite so suspicious when I do have the need to use it.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
Reaction score

for clarification, i stated that most of the folks on this site are not the folks that need a patch like sp2 in order to enhance their security. i was pointing out that most of the folks that own computers are computer illiterate. not most of the folks on htf.

Cees Alons

Reaction score
Real Name
Cees Alons
I now installed it on my other XP machine (heavy multi-media PC), and what's more: my son installed SP2 to his game computer (is 19/7 connected to the internet and game servers
, this will drop to 10/7 at most when school starts again - three days from now), and it all worked flawless. To my surprise even the various on-line multi-player games with the firewall on! Of course my son had to reply "leave unblocked" to several games, but after that no problems, he even thinks it's working slightly faster.

The central printer on my network is seen by all machines, although it's now behind a firewall (seen from the LAN) and several of those machines have a firewall engaged to the local network too. This means that on those machines, it's accessed through two firewalls. (I used to have a firewall on only on the shared Internet connection itself, not on the internal connections.)

The two main users in my house (my son and I
) are very pleased with this product. I also removed the uninstall files of all W-XP patches from my HD, except DirectX-9 and Windows XP-SP2 itself. Recovered some space that way.

Cees

PS
[ sidenote ] For old times sake, I acquired Doom3 and installed it on my big one (3.2 GHz HTT, 1Gb RAM, ATI Radeon 9800XT) - nice! [ /sidenote ]
Works OK with SP2. I made sure I didn't let it install DirectX-9b, because the version on the machine is now DirectX-9c!
C.

Bruce Hedtke

Cinematographer
Reaction score
I finally decided to install SP2 and for the most part, it's alright but the one problem I've encountered is that graphics and pictures are 50-50 as to whether they will be displayed or not. Some websites are fine, some are riddled with red x's, including HTF. I'm not very adept at firewalls (beyond knowing that I have one running) but that doesn't strike me as a problem associated with a firewall. Until I installed SP2, the red X was pretty rare...so unless there is something I can do to tweak things, I'm going to uninstall SP2.

Bruce

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
just disable the security center service all together its not needed for anything to work, and it gets rid of all the bs micronag you dont want.

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salininbmagu