windows xp saving all images as bmp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christ Reynolds, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    whats up with this, in internet explorer i can only save images as bitmaps. if i use outlook express to read newsgroups, i can save them as jpg if i choose to save the attachment. ive tried rebooting and the usual troubleshooting tacitcs so far. havent tried another browser yet, think i will now. anyone have this prob or know how to correct it?

CJ

2. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

My Windows ME machine was doing this at one point (I'm on XP now, but I've not tried it recently). It turns out that it will only 'save picture as...' in the native format of the image once the whole page has loaded - partial images are always saved as bmp. This might be your problem on XP as well.

3. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

It seems to be an intermittent bug in IE - I didn't realise the whole page loading thing was what screwed it up. It annoys the hell out of me...[​IMG] (And I'm on Win 98 SE)

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i know its not because the entire page isnt loading, even when the hyperlink goes directly to a jpg image, it wont save it as anything but a bmp. doesnt matter if the image is on an html page or not. a hard drive reformat is in the plans anyway, so i guess i wont have to worry about it for long.

CJ

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Check out this Q article: Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format

6. Peter-PP

Peter-PP Stunt Coordinator

Del your temp files in IE. You should then be able to save pictures as jpgs.

Peter