What's new

Windows XP Registration Questions... (1 Viewer)

AjayM

Screenwriter
Quote:

Linux is not an option. People always say that but its not the same. The world runs windows...if you want to also you have to play by their rules or not be included. You don't have an option.

I see so for you Linux isn't an option because everybody else uses Windows, therefore it makes it ok to steal Windows because they are the choice that most everybody else makes.

Quote:

Paying for something doesn't always cost money. When I registered shareware I paid for it once. I then didn't have to prove to the company a few weeks later that I already bought it. The transaction is finished.

I see, and you own no piece of software that requires registration online? None of the programs you have purchased have not sent information to the company about some of the hardware in your PC or other information you filled out.

Quote:

Seems to work ok for Lucasarts. Jedi Knight 2 is not copy protected at all yet I bought a copy and so did my friends. Why? Because its a good game. Thats just one example that proves that copy protection is not necessary to have sucessful products.

And what do you think LucasArts would do if he was losing half a billion dollars due to piracy? Comparing games to OS's is really a good comparison here considering the numbers of pirated versions of Windows probably equals the number of copies that JediKnight 2 will sell. But if you want to bring up these kinds of ridiculous comparisons, go right ahead.

Quote:

DOS and early windows.

Hmmm, both MS, maybe MS drove MS out of busines by buying MS.

Quote:

Sure there was macos and OS/2 (OS/2 which failed because everyone was supporting windows, just like the MacOS has limited software because everyone supports windows)

Really? Apple survived after the company almost dying, but IBM (which is one of the largest companies on the planet) couldn't make OS/2 work, and it's all Microsoft's fault. And if MS was so evil to destroy all competition, why exactly did they bail them out instead of just buying them?

Quote:

And its the same now. Everyone supports windows...limited support for the others, but just enough to keep them around. Microsoft makes a TON of money off office for the mac...don't have to call in and register that and they seem to be doing just fine.

Try Office XP for MAC and come back and tell me what you find.

Quote:

Actually what is weak is that you make it sound like if someone buys a copy of some piece of software then installs it on all their own computers its the same as murdering someone. A crimes a crime right? By your logic we should lock up about 90% of the population. Only those truely righteous will actually be spared.

Ok, so it's ok to commit one crime but not another. They are both crimes, one is more severe than the other. But they are both illegal.

Quote:

I believe that these stupid license agreements are not legally binding, its just that no one has bothered to try.

Again, go talk to a lawyer and find out. If you don't think it's binding ask any company that has been nailed by MS for violating license agreements, I'm sure none of those companies would have bothered to look at the legality of the agreement, of course not....

Quote:

I never signed anything, I ripped a sticker...sometimes the sticker is already unstuck so I never personally tore the sticker, am I bound then?

Yep. Check it out if you don't believe me.

Quote:

You see how dumb it sounds?

Not nearly as dumb as trying to justify doing something illegal.

Quote:

Or you buy software and that yes/no question pops up at install time. Well you can't return it because of return policies on unopened software...well look...you have no choice again but to say yes.

You can return it to the manufacture for a refund.

Quote:

A contract is not legally binding if an individual is forced to sign it. There are just different kinds of force.

I see, and this is just the same as holding a gun to your head. Makes sense.

Quote:

Let me ask this question. I've got a copy of Office for the mac that I bought from a university for $10. They had a special with microsoft where you could get windows, office and all kinds of stuff for $10. The installer expires at a certain time. Is it stealing to install this copy on multiple macs that I own also?

Read the license agreement, it is there for a reason. It tells you what you can and can't do with the software.

Quote:

Is it stealing to roll my clock back so the installer works after it expires?

Probably, read the full license agreement, it will probably be mentioned.

Quote:

This entire thread has gone from the dumb to the stupid. I doubt there is a single person on this entire forum that hasn't installed or shared a piece of software with someone else or installed it multiple times on their own computers and yet some of them will turn right around and chastise someone the moment they say there is nothing wrong with it.

I have borrowed and installed software on my machines that wasn't mine, many years ago when I thought just like you did. Then I started working in the software industry, and I realized how much it sucks when people steal the stuff you worked your butt off for, then I realized that I'd rather spend a little extra money and live happy with myself rather than know I am a hypocrit.

Quote:

Hell there was another thread where an admin openly admitted to installing norton utilities that he got from another member on his machine to fix a problem. Thats right there is a violation of the license agreement. Guess we should hang him also huh?

Not always, did you read the license agreement? Some utilities allow you to use them on multiple machines to fix problems, other don't.

Quote:

But I guess its ok to break license agreements when it serves your own means or someone needs a quick fix, but oh no...don't let anyone else do it...for shame.

I buy all my software, I have for at least a good 7-10 years....have you? I'm not the one sitting here telling everybody how it's OK to steal something, I live by the words I've posted...and those don't lead to me being called a thief/pirate, etc.

By your way of thinking and reasoning here, it's ok to steal from any company that is large and/or a monopoly. So I guess it's ok to steal and make copies of Hollywood films, it's ok to steal from the cable company/electric company/phone company. It's ok to steal from DeBears jewelers (they have the diamond market cornered) because they are a monopoly, it's ok for me to break into a store tonight and steal diamonds from them.

Quote:

When you buy a music CD...why don't you have to pay additional liscensing for each CD player you own and play it in? You are not buying the music, you are buying the right to play the music...why doesn't that apply to software. As long as I am not burning copies and giving them away or selling them. Same thing for VHS and timeshifting of TV programs. As long as I am making copies for my personal use it is legal. Does the 'Home Recording Act' not apply to software?

Well the agreement on music is a little different than on software. Also, you can buy a piece of software and put it on as many computers you want, just not at the same time.

Quote:

And what if two people each put up half the cost of an OS...are each not entitled to its use on their own respective machines?

Nope, you've bought one license of the software, that is the ability to install it on one machine at a time (that's usually what the license agreement say, there are others, like software that allows you to install as many copies as you want, but you can only use 1 -or some number- at a time)

Quote:

Most software manufacturers in the recent past (when I was in college) used to promote the idea of making a 'working' copy for your own personal use and keeping the original in case something happened to your 'copy'...I guess that all went out the window.

That's still an option today, you are allowed to make copies for backup/archive use. You are just not allowed to do give that away to somebody else or install it on another machine.

Andrew

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to ignore most of your post because now you are getting defensive and just looking for a fight. I'm not doing either. I'm defending myself from basically being called a thief.

By your way of thinking and reasoning here, it's ok to steal from any company that is large and/or a monopoly. So I guess it's ok to steal and make copies of Hollywood films, it's ok to steal from the cable company/electric company/phone company. It's ok to steal from DeBears jewelers (they have the diamond market cornered) because they are a monopoly, it's ok for me to break into a store tonight and steal diamonds from them.
Sure...feel free...I'm not going to stop you. I don't care what you do, so why should you care what others do. Get the point, no of course you don't which is why there will probably be another reply.

Tag...your it...

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'm just asking you if you think it's ok to steal from any successful company or monopoly, that is your excuse for stealing software, so it must be ok for you to steal from other people as well by your line of reasoning. Right?
But you see...I don't feel its stealing. I already bought the software. So for me its not stealing to install it on all my computers. I own them all, they are mine...get it? Rich company, poor company. Monopoly or not. I don't care. If I buy something. I'm going to use it as much as I want for MY own use. Which is what I do.

AjayM

Screenwriter
But you see...I don't feel its stealing. I already bought the software. So for me its not stealing to install it on all my computers. I own them all, they are mine...get it? Rich company, poor company. Monopoly or not. I don't care. If I buy something. I'm going to use it as much as I want for MY own use. Which is what I do.
Still stealing no matter what "you think" about it. Nothing to get about it, if you owned a company and somebody was stealing from you, would you care at all if the person doing the crime said "I don't feel it's stealing".

But, I'm going to drop out of this thread because nobody is going to change their minds about anything, it's just going to continue with the basic back and forth that everybody loves to read.

Oh but before I do, complaining about high software prices, then proudly announce your theft of the software is quite ironic.

Andrew

AjayM

Screenwriter
Actually, what they did was get Apple agree to drop their lawsuit concerning the use of pirated Quicktime code in both Microsoft and Intel products for $150 million in non voting stock. Microsoft made well over $400 million in the transaction.
Makes you wonder about the real MS policy is on software piracy, doesn't it?
At the time, Apple had 11 Billion in cold hard cash on hand plus a huge stake ARM processors. They were not even close to being on the verge of going out of business. Furthermore, they owned NEXT which was the foundation for OS X. Darwin code was reportedly ported to X86 in under a week.
Ummm, Apple was on the verge of dying, did not have anywhere near $11 billion in capitol laying around, they had already announced 1000 job layoffs....
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1997/web...ss/miss07.html
http://www.gcn.com/archives/gcn/1997/august25/rat.htm
Type in the words Microsoft Apple Bailout into just about any search engine you can find out everything you want to know about the deal. Most of the above is not mentioned anywhere that I've ever seen.
For trade of the $150 million, MS got to put IE on all Apples, got control over Apples handling of Java and got some special treatment for use over Office. They also settled the long standing threat that Apple was going to sue MS over the GUI (which MS copied from Apple which copied it from Xerox - Who BTW tried to sue Apple but was unsuccesful).
Andrew

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Ummm, Apple was on the verge of dying
People had been saying that for years prior and it never happened. Apple did have a huge war chest of cash and was not really in the dire condition that many people though they were in.

The thing about the quicktime code is true though, but Microsoft didn't actually write it. Some other company did for microsoft and that other company stole quicktime code.

But then again that is all hearsay because stuff like that would never get released to the public as official announcements.

The history of Apple has so much detail and is very interesting. There was a book awhile ago...I can't think of the title right now, but I got it at home that is really good. It talks all about Xerox and what really happened in those early years as well as microsoft.

AjayM

Screenwriter
The history of Apple has so much detail and is very interesting. There was a book awhile ago...I can't think of the title right now, but I got it at home that is really good. It talks all about Xerox and what really happened in those early years as well as microsoft.
Yea, that movie that was on awhile ago wasn't a bad start but it misses out on a lot of details and twists a few facts around (on both Apple's and MS's part), but you get a general idea of what was going on during those early years.

Andrew

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Oh the book i was thinking of was Insanely Great. It was just about Apple, unlike the movie which was about Gates and Jobs and the world around them.

I remember the Amelio days. My dad bought apple stock when it was 12 or something like that. Watched it rise up and then drop like a rock when they started posting record losses.

I still wish they had Mac Clones. I bought a power computing machine (still have it actually, it has PowerPC Linux on it now and serves as my web server, ftp server and overall play-around-and-see-what-I-can-break-next box). They were faster and cheaper than apples machines. Apple should ditch its hardware and concentrate just on software. They make really good hardware, but its just too expensive. I'd love to be able to build a mac from parts and run OSX.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Mike/Ajay,
Could you guys take the software theft talk off this forum.
In my view, what Mike advocates is technically theft of the software license when he takes one copy of a Window OS and slaps it on more than one machine at his house. You are free to do it, but you are not free to say you do it or advocate it here on the HTF because we simply do not advocate piracy or theft of software licenses here. In other words, keep those facts to yourself.
Mike's defense is situational ethics 101. It's not going to fly in this forum. Keep it up, and you will be suspended for an unspecified period of time. That is all I will say in lieu of a warning to you and anyone else wants to prop up Mike's stance on the issue.
Thank you and good night.

Aaron Croft

Stunt Coordinator
Why should you be allowed to install and use a peice of software on 2 different machines at once? A computer is a tool, and the tools that you add to it cost money. It's not like if I buy a CD-Player for one car I should recieve another CD-Player for each car I own at the price of the parts. Any company can CHOOSE to do this for you, and that would be a great deal to the customer, but it is THEIR choice.

Just becaue it is EASIER to steal software, and usually doesn't COST a company anything besides lost profit, doesn't make it any better than stealing a physical object. Sure, it's not the same as going into a store, and say grabbing 10 boxed copies of Windows, because then the cost of manufacturing is lost, but that's the ONLY difference.

I write software for a living... I often share my code with others who need help.. BUT, if I decide to sell something a certain way, and I decide that my aoftware tool is to be used on only ONE machine at a time, then I should be allowed to do so. And you should be considered a criminal if you choose to steal my software.

I apologize for continuing this dead horse discussion, but I just thought I'd try to convince software priaters not to do so (and music piraters for that matter).

-Aaron Croft

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,
I too do NOT advocate in any way the unauthorized use of any software product...but your point of view brings me the question of what is the difference between the intellectual property: software and the intellectual property: music. Why do I have to pay per machine I OWN for software to use it, I only have to pay per piece of intellectual property: music (ie CD or DVD), not the number of players I OWN. This is why the DIVX DVD format, IMO, did not survive. While I did like the idea of purchasing a dvd for a buck or two for the initial viewing and if I chose to keep it I could pay the $20 to open it permanently...but again I was only limited to a particular player it could be played on.

IMO, I don't mind paying additional liscenses for additional machines...but maybe something reasonable...$200 for the initial purchase (of say XP Home version) and then $50 or so for each additional machine, to me would be much more viable. In this situation I really wouldn't have any problem registering each time I upgraded hardware. But the hit of full price for each liscense to me is hard to swallow.

Again, no offense intended here...just my opinion on the situation...

Thanks again,
Tim K.

Aaron Croft

Stunt Coordinator
Tim - I see where you are coming from, but I think you are underestimating the vast differences between a peice of music, and a peice of software. Music is a form of entertainment, and when you buy a peice of music in a certain format you are free to listen to that music in any way you wish. You can copy it for your own personal use, and you can listen to it basically in any form as long as it originated from the source material you purchased (i.e. just because you bought a cassette tape version, doesn't mean you have the right to copy the CD from a freind, same goes with VHS/DVD, although copy protections schemes provent you from doing this quite often, I don't beleive that it is illegal to copy the media, as long as you are using it for backup and personal use.
Computer software is an entirely different product than audio/video media. While music and video are quite static, and only meant to be watched or listened too (or fealt when you throw in some subwoofers :), many software applications are complex tools that help you carry out personal and business functions. LOTS of software is meant to be ran in the background of your PC, ALWAYS running, doing some sort of task for you. Does your music WORK for you? NO...
THAT is why it is up to the software developer (or most likely the publisher) to decide what you can do with that ONE copy of the software you buy. Many allow you to have multiple copies installed, others put some sort of limit on it's liscenses. The point is that because software is a TOOL, it's use must be liscensed. THAT does not stop any dev to release software with a liberal liscense policy, but it gives them the right to decide what that liscense should allow.
NOW, it is a whole different issue if you don't consider the price per liscense (or box in many cases) of software to be fair. Should MS offer a low price multi-user liscense for home or small office users? YES... do they? I'm not sure, I immagine they DO have something like this... if they don't they should.
BUT, it's THEIR choice.
PS, it's way too late for me.. I can smell the spelling errors.. goodnight.
-Aaron

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Tim, to answer your question, the difference is that the software still resides on the other machine. You would need to buy two copies of Fight Club at full price in order to watch it at your friend's house while not having to remove it from your multi-disc changer at home.

Since it is possible to install a second copy of XP at home on a second machine as long as its uninstalled from the original machine first, this is in fact the same deal.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
It would be nice if Microsoft came up with a pricing policy that allowed home users to buy a "house license" for a reasonable price, rather than having to shell out the full $300 bucks for each PC. Since so many people have multiple PCs these days, there would probably be a market for such a product.

Corporations get a break for multiple licenses, so why shouldn't home users?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Excellent...a Site license for the home. Unfortunately, the economics of such a product isn't worth Microsoft's time/effort to promote and offer.

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,
If you use that line of thought...here me out...

Intellectual product: music is not 'static'. Songwriter A writes a song. Band A records and produces a record with said song. All is sold through the proper channels and songwriter and band are paid for their efforts (mega bucks if they are lucky).

Now local band B plays said song on a gig they are getting paid for...the intellectual property: music is now being used to make money for people who 1)did not write the song and 2)did not record/produce the song. Should band B not be allowed to play the song, or should they in turn pay Band A and Songwriter A for the music they are now using to make money? And the record industry is making a big stink over MP3's...there is a hell of lot of bands playing (and making money) a lot of songs they did not write, and I know they are not paying ASCAP or BMI.

It is the same scenario with software...if you use it in your business. I am primarily using it for personal use.

Give me your opinions....

Tim K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks