Windows XP Registration Questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Kilbride, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

I am ready to upgrade to either Win2k or XP...I get both OS's for the same price (full install versions, not upgrades). When I upgrade, I save my data on CD, reformat the harddrive(s) and then do a fresh install.

What issues will I face with XP registration stuff? I do change hardware once every 4-6 months or so (upgrade video card or sound card type stuff). Can I install on more than one machine. I have 2 laptops and 2 boxes all at home networked, router to the outside world.

What about the NTFS file systems...I use Win2k at work, will my files here at home be compatible with my box at work? Can I set the file system to FAT32?

What is the minimum hardware that can 'Realistically' run XP. My wife has a IBM i1400 series laptop @ 450Mhz with 128Mgs ram, will this be capable of running XP?

I don't game at all...mostly Adobe/ Powerpoint stuff for work and surfing/paying bills online.

Thanks in advance guys...any info will be helpful...

Tim K.

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I have Windows 2000 installed with FAT32 (so I can use multiple non-MS operating systems [aka Linux])... works great! Windows 2000 is a nice, secure, and STABLE operating system.
    Windows XP? Bah! We don't need no stinkin' vanilla XP!
    Get Windows 2000 Professional and BE HAPPY [​IMG]
    (runs GTA3 and Jedi Knight 2 great too! [​IMG] )

3. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

edit:

deleted by me because my thoughts were against the norm

5. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

6. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

If you're going to pirate the OS anyway, why not just buy XP and then download the version that doesnt need registration, you're screwing microsoft the same way either choice.

7. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

My brother is a network administrator for several hospitals, and he refuses to let me even consider installing XP. [​IMG]
    I've always liked 98, and 2000 is for the most part the ultimate windows 98. It's like a 98 that never crashes. Tim, if you use 2000 at work, since the choice is pretty much a toss-up, and you can avoid the extra potential registration hassle, I'd say going 2000 is the obvious choice. XP is a little prettier, but that's about it.

8. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

9. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

10. MikeAlletto

I would love to see microsoft go after some individual for installing one of their products multiple times on the individuals own computers in their home. Talk about a PR nightmare for microsoft. I understand companies with their 100s and 1000s of copies, but I never understood personal copies. Its greed plain and simple...there is no business reason.

11. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Of course when you add up all the hundreds/thousands of individuals running say, 2 or 3 copies and compare it with a business or two with a 100 or 1000 copies, you can see where the real money is being lost...

I doubt Microsoft has any worries about getting into a "PR nightmare". More likely it's less cost-effective to go after lots of little guys as opposed to a few big guys.

12. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

13. MikeAlletto

14. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I very much aggree Mike (although I'm not quite as clean as him :p)). I'd like to see the full stand alone versions at a little more than upgrade prices. Upgrade prices can be a little lower than present. Then extra keys for personal computers in the same home should be available for like $20 a pop (only allow up to somewhere between 3 and 5 extra keys though).

With how cheap some basic computers are becoming, pretty soon you'll be spending more on the OS and Office suite for your kids computer than you did on the computer.

15. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

16. MikeAlletto

17. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

18. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

"Help! Help! I'm being repressed!" [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. MikeAlletto

20. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

I do see both sides of the argument here guys...

When I buy software, I pay for the full versions. I also download a good amount of shareware, and if I like it, I will pay the $20 or so to register it.

But my question is this...

When you buy a music CD...why don't you have to pay additional liscensing for each CD player you own and play it in? You are not buying the music, you are buying the right to play the music...why doesn't that apply to software. As long as I am not burning copies and giving them away or selling them. Same thing for VHS and timeshifting of TV programs. As long as I am making copies for my personal use it is legal. Does the 'Home Recording Act' not apply to software?

And what if two people each put up half the cost of an OS...are each not entitled to its use on their own respective machines?

Most software manufacturers in the recent past (when I was in college) used to promote the idea of making a 'working' copy for your own personal use and keeping the original in case something happened to your 'copy'...I guess that all went out the window.

These questions are not meant to disrespect anyone...just things I've been curious about.

Thanks
    Tim K.