Windows XP Registration question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Aug 25, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I like to reformat my computer every two or three months. It gives me an excuse to update my data backup, and I like to get that 'fresh' feeling that I get from a reformat. But, this is the second time that I've gotten the "Your key has reached the maximum limit allowed" message.

Is there ANYWAY I can legally stop this from happening? Does Microsoft offer an option that stops this from happening, albeit for a charge, of course..

Thanks

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

3. Mark Hsieh

Mark Hsieh Agent

Well, if its giving you that message, unfortunately you'll have to contact Microsoft since that is one of their ways of keeping people from building similar systems and registering a valid version of XP.
    After you get in, you can copy wpa.dbl in your /system32/ directory to a floppy or something, and everytime you format, just put it back in /system32 and you won't have to register with Microsoft again.

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Hmm, bit of a sneaky way to do it, but I don't install seperate copies of operating systems on other computers, only on mine. They've got to offer an option for people like me who like to reformat, but don't want to call in this number every time.
    I just called the tech support phone number, and I almost got into a trance reciting that long list of numbers, that I was hoping I didn't muck up the recital of them to the receptionist. But, she was nice enough to quickly recite a whole bunch of numbers back, that I was lucky enough to get them all right while writing them down the second time [​IMG].
    Why they have to ask how you received this number, I don't know. I felt kind of strange stating that I reformat the hard drive every now and then just to make the system run a bit smoother and clearing out old files. Who knows if a person answering the phones can understand that the way a computer person can [​IMG].

5. Mark Hsieh

Mark Hsieh Agent

That's just standard protocol for them. Well as I said, just copy the wpa.dbl file and you won't ever have to register again.

6. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>Sure. Windows 2000. It's more mature, less buggy, works great with everything I've tried to do with it, has better hardware compatibility,

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer