Windows XP Recovery Disc Question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Murphy, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

My mother's E-Machines needs the aid of a recovery disc and in her infinite wisdom threw hers out awhile back. I also have an E-machines PC but its a different model. Since they both run Windows XP can I use my recovery disc to fix hers? The E-machines "Help Desk" told me no (but gave me no reason why) but did offer to mail me a replacement for $20. If it helps her PC is model # T2341 and mine is T2200. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Try it and find out...discovery is grand!

3. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

it would work, but teh recovery discs usually have the specific drivers needed for that particular machine, so that may give you issues.

4. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

The only correct answer here is to try it out. I have used a lot of recovery disks and I can tell you it will work 90% of the time. Even if the drivers are incorrect it will still work you will just have to find the correct drivers. So what happens with the last 20%? These are disks that the company has made their own deployment method that checks the machine to make sure its the correct model. One notable company is sony. On some of the older Vios the software actually checks the cdrom firmware to make sure its the correct machine. The big problem is a lot of people replaced the cd rom with a burner and didnt think anything of it until they had to reinstall their os. Just try it you wont hurt anything and as long as you use the cd-key on her machine your perfectly legal too.

5. shaniceMW

shaniceMW Stunt Coordinator

tried that with my laptop (toshiba satellite) and fugged my machine up. i got the replacement cd's mailed to me next day air. cant live without the internet. so if you are tech savvy enough to find the correct drivers for the machine, take a shot at it.

6. EricWilliam

EricWilliam Agent

unless you have 2 CD keys for Windows XP, then no LEGALLY you can not

7. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I broke down and got the replacement CDs. The best part about the $20 charge is its for shipping and handling. The CD is "free", according to e-machines. It will take 7-10 days before I receive it, I guess the $20 shipping isn't expedited. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

8. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

WOW! That shipping charge is crazy heh.