What's new

Windows XP prompts for choice of OS to load? (1 Viewer)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Hi guys,

I apologize for the vagueness of this post, but I thought maybe someone here would know what I was talking about.

I installed Windows XP (Home) upgrade on my laptop several weeks ago, and to verify that I was eligible to use the upgrade, the CD prompted me to insert my previous Windows CD (which was Windows ME). The installation continued as usual and appeared successful.

Now, when I turn on the computer, before the Windows XP loading screen comes on, I am prompted to choose between two operating systems - XP, and something else (sorry, can't remember what it says - I'm at a work computer right now). But there ARE no other operating systems installed on my computer. No partitions, nothing. I have to select XP, or after about 30 seconds the prompt goes away and XP is selected automatically.

So, does anybody know why this happened and how to correct it? I'd like to be able to just turn on the computer and have it boot up quickly on its own. TIA!

Eric

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Right-click My Computer, select Properties.

Go to the Advanced tab, then click on the Settings button in the Startup & Recovery section.

In that window, untick the option to display list of operating systems.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The other option probably says "Previous Operating System on Drive C:" or something like that. Mine always says that after installing XP from scratch. I always manually edit the C:boot.ini file to remove the offending non-existent operating system.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys, Rob's explanation worked. I just selected 0 for "display choice for X seconds" and it boots fine now.

I have one other question about booting up for you guys. I had to install an older version of pcANYWHERE on my computer, and it warned me that it would change the way I logged on to my computer. Now I have to hit ctl+alt+del and enter (I didn't select a password) to continue the boot process. Is there any way around this? It's very annoying to have to hit it every time the computer boots, when I only use pcANYWHERE maybe once every two months.

TIA!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks