Windows XP Professional Security Policies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon_S, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

I have been searching high and low for the answer to this question, so here goes. I know in Windows XP that I can set policies for certian users and groups to allow them access to certian things when they log in. What I don't know is how to change this? By using the MMC I can change my Local Computer Policy, but this isn't user or group specific. In other words the changes apply to all users on the machine. Does anyone know how to edit the Local Computer Policies so that each user has his/her own set? Thanks!

Brandon Smith

2. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

In the Computer Management MMC click System Tools > Local Users and Groups > Users. There you can manage your user permissions. For individual files/apps/whatever, you can add the individual users on the security tab of the properties dialog and assign specific permissions for that object.

3. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Thom,

Actually what I want to do is use the policies that will remove and lock out certian Windows features. Not just files but options like Run, etc. For example, what I want is something that would allow a faculty member who logs into a machine to have access to Run and other Windows commands like My Computer. When a student logs in to the same machine, they would not have access to these Windows features. It is my understanding that Windows XP has all these functions built in correct? I have seen third party programs like WinLock do this, but I believe XP can do it internally. Thanks for the help.

Brandon Smith

4. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

5. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit