What's new

Windows XP Pro Only $48.94 For MS Resellers (1 Viewer)

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
Microsoft has Windows XP pro for only $39 if you are a Microsoft reseller. Plus $8.95 S&H unless you're in Hawaii or Alaska that is. $24.95 S&H if you are.
Windows XP Pro Only $39 For MS Resellers
Deal is dead. [07/11/02]
Link Removed
...new link [07/24/02]
Link Removed
...Most Recent Link [09/15/02]
The offer is over. [11/20/02]

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
That's a great price, Roy. Do you, or anyone, know of any Microsoft retailers that would be able to make purchases for any of the HTF members?

At that price, I would jump at the chance to own the XP OS.

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Bill:

Just go and order it. I did... as long and your MasterCard works, it'll go through.

dave

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
Okay,

Thanks, Dave, for your quick response. Can you tell me what the FPP stands for on the Windows XP Pro FPP?

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Bill:

You get more than JUST Win XP Pro for your forty clms! You get a baseball (cuz' you're playing on MS's team, I guess!), some gum and BB cards, some other stuff. I am sure it is just the MS code for the grouping.

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Bill:

I just went and looked.... maybe that is NOT it. Maybe (from the wording on the site..) it is like an old "cut-out" record, the ones with a hole through the corner, for "Promotional Use Only, Not For Resale"

Don't know, just guessing.

[rant]Note, too, 4-6 weeks for delivery.[/rant]

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Bill:

Just got this via e-mail:

Thank you for ordering the Windows XP Professional "GoPro" Collectors Kit.

Your order number is 18XXXX

Keep this number as a reference if you have any questions in the future.

Works!

Now if I could just get Office for 20 bucks!

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
Well, at $40, I can't pass this up. It was also stated on the website that the offer is good as long as supplies last. I have decided to give it a shot.
I understand that Office 2000 will work fine with XP. If that's the case, I will stick with my old copy. On the other hand, if I recall correctly, there is a possibility that Win XP Pro comes with the Office software...correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks for the great info. I'm going to take a few swings at the local batting cage to get ready for Microsoft's team! :)

Joseph Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

WinXP Pro does not come with the Office software. Yes, you can use Office 2000 (I did at work), or update to Office XP. However, MS wants you to register ("activate", in MS jargo) your copy of Office XP, much like you will need to do for WinXP (Pro or Home). You do not have to activate earlier copies of Office.

Hope this helps,

Joseph

Gail M

Agent
Thanks Roy! I just bought one too. Does it actually take 4-6 weeks to get it? Has anyone actually gotten their copy yet?

SvenS

Second Unit
Remember guys that you MUST activate Windows XP with Microsoft or it will shut down on you! And if you can not prove you are a MS reseller when you activate you will most likely have a $40 paperweight!

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Activition is TOTALLY independent of registration, which means it does not know who you are, and it does not ask, all it does is take an inventory of some pieces of hardware configuration and make sure they don't change too much. I have a XP Prof that I activated but never registered, as it is a test bench machine, it has NOTHING in that machine that links to me, it's not registered, has no name, no address and NOTHING, it's cleaned, trashed, and resinstalled just about every other day, the activation is happy as can be.

Similarly, EBay and Frys (probably a lot more places) are selling OEM versions of XP, which is "grey", but nobody ever complaint about not being able to activate.

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
It will be interesting to see how this plays out....I am an authorized MS reseller and before all these kits were nothing but a promotional & sales tool to display on site. They are not functional versions of the software - just looping demos to display on a computer in the store....
Good Luck :D

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
For some reason, a lot of people think MS is doing us a favor by selling us $40 XP Prof. The truth is business is extremely tough out there, not only MS, but Adobe, Symantec, Partition Magic, and everybody is giving giant discounts and using gimmicks to move products and hopefully increase their install base. If one goes to Amazon and places like BestBuy, Buy.com..., you can buy some Norton 2002 stuff for FREE, after the 3 different rebates. Adobe was rebating Photoshop 7.0 upgrade to actual cost under $90. I've been using Photoshop since 4.0, and I've never seen that kind of discount. If you go to MS website on Windows licensing, selling OEM Windows to non OEM is illegal, but even Frys is doing it, so MS is basically closing their eye on all these just to move products. There are also "Educational ONLY" versions of deep discounted Office XP (the catch is no future upgrades) selling everywhere, it used to be only to colleges or academics, else pretty much under the table, now they are on EBay, retail stores, and anybody can buy them.

If you think about it, there's nothing more MS like than for everybody to get off the old W9x platform to move to XP, so they can hook you to Passport and .NET, making less profit to push XP is a no brainer , remember, they used to give $300 reabte to hook people into MSN.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
You don't have to activate it. There are ways around it. I got a copy with my Dell laptop. Completely legit. I did not want to activate it. So I didn't. :)

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
There was a similar offer for XP Pro last September/October for about $60 that came with a lava lamp full of glittering X's and P's and it was a bonafide deal. I received my copy the week of Thanksgiving.

Four to six weeks is realistic for delivery. They did a more thorough job of checking eligibilty last year with some reported phone calls before they shipped.

I can't wait for my baseball! With this product activation garbage one can't have enough legal copies of Windows XP and you can always make a new friend out of somebody by making a present of it.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
This is really beyond the scope of this forum, but be that as it may, for those that are interested/concerned about WPA (Windows Product Activition), here is a link to an excellent article by a MS MVP, and disspells a lot of myths and disinformations out there. Greg, XP that distributes with a machine (OEM bundle, such as IBM, Dell, Gateway,...) has different activition mechanism, so your situation may or may not be the same as somebody that has a software license only product.
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpaz.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks