Windows XP not seeing secondary HD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Hardin, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

I got my newest order from newegg.com today and it was an 80 gb hard drive that I am using to store my media files on. Its an IDE drive. I set the jumpers on the primary IDE drive that has the OS as the master, and then jumpers on the new one as the slave. Turned the machine on, immediately went to CMOS and there they both were.

Continued the boot into XP and only the primary drive had been assigned, I could not see the secondary. In the control panel I can go to the device manager, and see both drives. I even clicked the enable option but nothing happened.

What am I missing here? Obviously, there is something I am not doing in XP to have it assign both drives, even though I can see them in the device manager. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

You have to go into the Drive Manager via Start Menu-->Administrative Tools--> Computer Management (you may also right click on My Computer and select Manage. Once the Management Console is open, select and initialize, then format the drive(you should see it and it says Drive not Initialized or something to that effect). Once the drive is initialized and formatted, you are good to go.

3. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Have you partitioned and formatted the secondary drive?

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Could it be that it's not formatted? And make sure you restart after you enable it.

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Andy,

Partition the drive, Windows will not recognize a drive that is properly formatted and connected if it is not partitioned.

Look up partitioning in XP Help if you need a guide.

Best,
    Joe

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Yeah, right-click on My Computer, select Manage, then once the window opens select Disk Management. You'll see the two drives depicted graphically. Right-click on the new drive and partition.

If it's just going to be used as a secondary drive, you're probably better off creating the whole drive as an Extended Partition, then however many Logical Drives within that. It'll ask you if you want to format etc afterwards. You don't need to Primary unless you'e booting off it.

Something you may want to consider - you'll far better off having the two hard drives on different IDE channels (preferably both as 'Master'). Any drive-to-drive copies or activities that use both drives together will be significantly faster and smoother than if you have both sitting on the same channel.

7. Bobby McGee

Bobby McGee Extra

Actually, the same thing happened to me recently (WinXP Home, newly purchased, not formatted, blank Seagate 120G HD). I don't mean to speak for Andy, but in my case:
    - BIOS could see the new HD
    - Device Manager could see the new HD
    - Windows Explorer/My computer/Drive Management could not see it.
    Looked all over for an answer (knowlege base, help/sppt, forums)and ended up calling M$. They were obviously confused and after multiple failed attempts at fixes, they has me use a DOS boot disk to format the drive (halfway through that he came back and told me to abandon that approach) and then had me type a command (Run) to try and locate the disk. Somehow the disk appeared in Drive Manager but neither I nor the M$ guy were sure how that happened or exactly what we had done to fix it. I thought it was one of those 1/1,000,000 occurences and didn't really document/remember exactly what command we used as I thought it would never happen again. But now Andy may be reporting the same issue. It would be nice if someone could explain:
    - What possibly would cause this behavior
    - Exactly what should be done to fix it.

TIA

8. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

Formatting and partitioning did the trick. Thanks for your help guys. Works fine now.

Rob - I'll remember the two IDE channels for future reference. I'm building a touch screen MP3 jukebox, and have decided to use my main machine (Athlon 2000+) for ripping and encoding, and then will transfer it to an older 600 mHz machine when the jukebox is ready to go. For now it will be fine since data transfer performance isn't my #1 goal (and its just a temp. setup). When I put it in the other machine, I'll be sure to set it up that way.

Again, thanks for the quick responses.