Windows XP NIC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Furtek, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I recently upgraded a computer to Windows XP Pro, and the NIC stopped working, a Kingston KNE110TX. Since I have the same card in another of my PCs (running Windows 98) I swapped cards and the thing didn't work in my Windows 98 either.

I'm looking to see if anyone can confirm that these cards will work with Windows XP, and if not, to give me a cheap recommendation for a replacement. Only requirement is that this NIC will run on Windows XP Professional and will be able to connect via standard ethernet cable. It's going to be hooked up in a college dorm.

Matthew Furtek

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Those Kingston NICs are crap....thats what I got with my old DSL self install kit and it never worked. Now for a good cheap NIC, just go to Best Buy and get a D-Link or Netgear, they are about $20.

3. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

go to compusa, find linksys LNE100TX. it works with windows xp just fine, only 27 bucks tax included.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'm running D-Link NIC's in my winXP box's and they're solid, reliable and affordable.

5. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Matthew...I have a couple of these Kingston NICS, one in a WIN98SE box and one in this rig running WinXP Home. I never "installed" the drivers that came with the NIC but only what XP provided....actually I never got the chance to....when I booted up..new hardware detected...Network Interface Card detected...installing drivers for your new hardware....finished installing software for new hardware.....DONE.

Don't know if u've tried this...remove it first from the system, pull it out...then in again or another PCI slot..reboot and let XP install its drivers. But them again, u may have tried this and u may have just that one bad card.

6. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

I sent the card back, hopefully its just a defective card, and not that Kingston doesn't know how to make NICs.

Of course, their NIC department has seemed to have gone under.

Matthew Furtek