What's new

Windows XP File Names (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey all

Just a quick question. This isn't causing an issue, I am just curious is all. Recently on my desktop computer, I have alot of file names that are in blue text. I do not see a pattern a specific type of file that is like this it just seems to be random files that happen to be in blue text.

Does anyone know what it means?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
It means that those are files which you have not used in a long time; whenever you run "Disc Cleanup" on your hard drive [which can be automatic], Windows compresses them, I think into MS's CAB format. On the "Properties" tab for your HD, there is a "Disc cleanup" button, and if you navigate down to "compress old files" in the dialogue box you will be presented with a button allowing you to change the options.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
They are files that have been compressed...regardless of whether it was done by Disk Cleanup or not. By default you have to go into the view settings to enable displaying compressed files in a different color, but that setting has obviously already been turned on.

Unless you're hurting for disk space I would recommend against compressing files...and even if you are hurting for disk space I'd recommending clearing some space by deleting or archiving things to CD rather than compressing. It creates too much overhead when those files are accessed.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I am unsure how to uncompress files that have already been compressed. I realize this compression must of happened when I ranm Disk Cleanup recently. I misread what "Compress old files" meant. I thought it meant to delete old compressed files... not make new compressed files!

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I seem to recall an option somewhere, maybe in folder options, by which I disallowed compressing files in a folder. If you can do this in your root folder and then apply the same setting to subfolders, you would be OK. On the other hand, if these are files you haven't used in 120 days, what's the harm in adding a few seconds' decompression time when you eventually do invoke them?

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
There is an option under folder properties on the general tab under the advanced button to compress the folder, but not to disallow. This setting is also under the C: drive itself which would compress the entire drive contents....which is highly undesirable.

To avoid inadvertantly compressing files, remove the check from "compress old files" in the disk cleanup wizard.

Compression is a very old tool which came in handy when hard drives were lucky to break the 4GB barrier. Even then it was only recommended only if absolutely necessary because of not only the overhead, but the problems that can occur.

Adam, if it hasn't caused any problems to this point then don't sweat it...but I'd recommend ensuring that no additional folders are compressed by changing the setting in the disk cleanup wizard. You can always go into the properties of the folders themselves and remove the check for compression if you feel like it...as long as you have plenty of free space.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks