Windows Xp - can't shutdown problem solved

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Don Peskin, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Don Peskin

Don Peskin Stunt Coordinator

Every once in a while this problem crops up. I hit the start / shutdown buttons and nothing happens. I go to task manager and hit the shutdown button and nothing happens. I hit the power button on my computer and nothing happens.
    Once this was going on day 2 so I just pulled the power cord out. That shut the thing down.
    But now I found an easier way to solve the problem.
    I used FreeRam XP Pro (downloadable at pcworld.com) to free up ram. It's free and it works great. I noticed the other day that it has a tools option. When I checked it out I say a system shutdown button. I clicked it and nothing happened. But then I saw it also has a FORCE SYSTEM SHUTDOWN button. I clicked that and sure enough my system shutdown.
    Free program - 2 uses - gotta love that.

2. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

You can also try pressing the power button and holding it down. Takes about 5 seconds, then the sucker just turns off.

Where in the Bronx are you ? I'm a refugee from 183rd Street.

3. Don Peskin

Co-op city, but I used to work on 180th St and Southern Blvd. I drove home fast. We have another thing in common. I checked your profile. You were born 10/8, I was born 10/7.

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Yeah, manufacturers have figured out that most tower computers get put on the floor, so they set the front power switches not to react unless pressed and held-in for 5 to 15 seconds. This has saved many a game or important document from being lost in the ether thanks to an errant knee. [​IMG]

Did you say, "Co-Op City"? [​IMG] I used to live off Gun Hill Road between Allerton Aven and 233rd. [​IMG] Of course, I'm also old enough to remember when what is now Co-Op City was mostly a landfill with an amusement park on the edge of it, so it was probably long before your time. My family still owns the house I used to live in, which remains my great aunt's home. (She turned 103 earlier this month.) [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe
    "You can take the boy out of the Bronx, but you can't take the Bronx out of the boy"

5. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Oh man, old home week. We moved from 183rd to Drieser Loop in Co-op, section 1. I went to Columbus High off Allerton. The amusement park's name was Freedomland, I believe.

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

You are correct, sir.

(Man, is there anything too obscure to have its own web site? Actually a Google search of "Freedomland" + "Bronx" returns several. The link above was the best of them.)

I didn't realize that Freedomland was (briefly) the largest amusement park in the world. [​IMG]

I remember going there to see a live remote of a TV show that featured the Four Seasons as the musical guests. (I think it might have been Wonderama, but I can't remember if Sandy Becker or Sonny Fox was hosting at the time. I suppose there's an outside chance it was actually Soupy Sales doing his show. [​IMG])

Regards,

Joe

7. Don Peskin

Yep, Freedomland was here.
    Speaking of Allerton Ave - I used to live on Mace Ave and Boston Rd. Allerton was around the block.
    I went to PS 96, JHS 135 and Christopher Columbus HS - when it was still a good school.
    Sad to say Joseph, but it wasn't long before my time. I went to Freedomland when I was a kid.

8. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I remember my first year there. The school was so crowded that they had a 1st and 2nd shift of students. Back then it was supposed to be the 2nd best H.S in the Bronx behind Bronx Science. Us new kids had to start on the night shift. [​IMG]
    I graduated in '75. Don, when were you there ?

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    PS 97. We moved up to Westchester when I was still in first grade, so that was the end of my Bronx school experience (I mostly remember standing outside the classroom for doing or saying something that pissed the teacher off [​IMG])

But most of my family still lived in the Bronx, so we visited pretty much every week (Sunday dinner at grandma's) and most holidays. We pretty much owned the block bounded by Eastchester Road, Bantam Place, Woodhull Avenue and a street whose name I can't remember. Relatives on both sides of the family owned houses around the corner from one another on Eastchester and Bantam place, so between the permanent residents and the frequent visitors from Westchester and Queens we'd have 10 or 12 kids all born within 5 years of each other and all related one way or another running around the place. [​IMG]

Later,

Joe

10. Don Peskin

LewB, I graduated in 1971.
    My last year there was when they started busing kids in. That's when it started getting crowded and the high standards starting dropping.

11. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Hey, I resemble that remark [​IMG]