Windows XP ate my hard drive

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MartinTeller, Dec 11, 2003.

1. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

This morning my D: drive disappeared from Windows XP. It was there last night. Nothing unusual happened between then and now. But when I try to access programs on my D: drive it says it can't find the link. When I try to access the drive in Explorer it says "The disk in drive D is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

If I boot up to a DOS prompt I can access the drive and see my files there just fine. But if I open up a command window in XP and try to switch to D: it says "The volume does not contain a recognized file system"

Please, please help if you can! I really can't afford to take it to a repair shop now.

2. MartinTeller

32 views and no replies, eh? Help!

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Was that a bump? naughty naughty [​IMG]

I had a computer that did this, and it turned out to be that the power supply started to mess up. I replced it and never had the problem again. Try using a different power connector to the HD and see if it works. If so, you PS may be going bad.

4. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Also check your cabling to the drive. Could be loose. Could be a bad ide cable (unless you have SATA).
    (Though it's a little strange you can access it from DOS).

What does your BIOS report about the drive?

Another thing, do you have a virus checker that updates at regular intervals?

Do you have access to another pc that you could pop the drive into to see how it's performing there?

5. MartinTeller

I did check the cabling and the PS, wasn't either of those. The BIOS didn't seem to think there was a problem, and it definitely wasn't a virus.

I dunno what caused it but managed to recover the data, so I just reformatted it.

6. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Damn, I just formatted and did a clean install on my main drive, and now my backup drive is crapping out [​IMG] Oh welll..

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I think I need to take an emergency poll. How many of you have either/and Nortan AV & Firewall 2004 running?

Glenn