windows xp and older games

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hugh M, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

Hi, I realize there is a gaming software section, but this seems like a better place for this post.

I was running Windows ME, and was playing the Star Wars Ep.1 Pod Racing game..Now I have XP and that is the only game that I have that I can't play. I experimented briefly with the compatibility feature in XP, with no luck though. Maybe there is some trick I can do to get this to work?

double boot is out of the question for me, for one game.

If I remember correctly when starting the game it just ends before it ever goes fullscreen/leaves the dekstop.

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

That's odd, my copy of Ep1 Racer works fine on XP Professional edition (corporate copy, I do some work from home). Have you gone to the Web Update site of Microsoft and downloaded all the patches and compatibility updates for XP?

3. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

yes, but I will keep trying...

it is a recently bought box of the game, the "Lucas Classics" kind of deal.

I am using a Radeon 64DDR VIVO with 3276 drivers.

AMD 1.4

XP 2600 HE

Hercules GTXP, 3.02 drivers

Via 4.37 (southrbidge)

AMD 4.8 (northbridge)

Epox 8K7A+ 10/17 Bios

and you are not using any compat. feature?

I get the splash screen like I said, but when it tries to go off the desktop it just ends... maybe I should play with resolutions a bit and see or something.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Nope, not using the compatibility feature. But I do have the original disc of the game, not the Classics packaging, and that's the version that works fine:
    it also may be hit and miss. I ran across a WinXP compatibility site where people posted their results, and only 1 person had tried Ep1 Racer and they had the same result you did, "installs fine, crashes to desktop."
    That had me worried, but when I installed it, it ran fine. About par for the course for an MS product... [​IMG]
    Athlon 850 / MSI GeForce2 Pro / Abit KT7-R / Windows XP Pro