What's new

windows xp and older games (1 Viewer)

Hugh M

Second Unit
Hi, I realize there is a gaming software section, but this seems like a better place for this post.

I was running Windows ME, and was playing the Star Wars Ep.1 Pod Racing game..Now I have XP and that is the only game that I have that I can't play. I experimented briefly with the compatibility feature in XP, with no luck though. Maybe there is some trick I can do to get this to work?

double boot is out of the question for me, for one game.

If I remember correctly when starting the game it just ends before it ever goes fullscreen/leaves the dekstop.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That's odd, my copy of Ep1 Racer works fine on XP Professional edition (corporate copy, I do some work from home). Have you gone to the Web Update site of Microsoft and downloaded all the patches and compatibility updates for XP?

Hugh M

Second Unit
yes, but I will keep trying...

it is a recently bought box of the game, the "Lucas Classics" kind of deal.

I am using a Radeon 64DDR VIVO with 3276 drivers.

AMD 1.4

XP 2600 HE

Hercules GTXP, 3.02 drivers

Via 4.37 (southrbidge)

AMD 4.8 (northbridge)

Epox 8K7A+ 10/17 Bios

and you are not using any compat. feature?

I get the splash screen like I said, but when it tries to go off the desktop it just ends... maybe I should play with resolutions a bit and see or something.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Nope, not using the compatibility feature. But I do have the original disc of the game, not the Classics packaging, and that's the version that works fine:
it also may be hit and miss. I ran across a WinXP compatibility site where people posted their results, and only 1 person had tried Ep1 Racer and they had the same result you did, "installs fine, crashes to desktop."
That had me worried, but when I installed it, it ran fine. About par for the course for an MS product... ;)
Athlon 850 / MSI GeForce2 Pro / Abit KT7-R / Windows XP Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks