Windows XP and Half-Life

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul E. Fox II, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

I've been trying to figure out whether Half-Life can be installed on a WinXP PC. The one time I tried to do that...well, let's say the results weren't pretty.
    I noticed something on the TweakXP site about this and it mentioned a problem with Display Drivers, but I'm still a little unsure.
    Anyone out there currently know if this can be done? I realize that this game is a bit old, but my 8-Year old is getting a new PC for Christmas and I want to get rid of WinME (YECH!!!!) and put XP on there, but his is one of his FAVORITE games!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated[​IMG]!

2. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Not a single problem. Since it's one of the most played MP games still (Couterstrike and all other mods), if there were any major problems with HL and XP, I'm sure they'd have been resolved by now.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yep...no problems on two XP installs over here.

4. Paul E. Fox II

Thanks guys. I guess I'll give it a shot. The first time I tried to install it, I got a warning that it "couldn't run with this version (XP) of windows" then my system 32 folder promptly corrupted and I had to run the XP repair routine to fix it.

Just wanted to make sure that it HAD been done.

5. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Ouch, that IS nasty Paul. But I too have installed, uninstalled, deleted, etc., Half-Life a ton of times with no issue on my XP machine.
    Good luck with it [​IMG]

6. Paul E. Fox II

You know, when that happened, I was trying to install it on my (at the time) brand spankin' new Dell Inspiron 8100 and let me just say this...there have been MANY problems with that particular machine! After that, I have had quite a nasty taste in my mouth and since this PC is the one with ALL of my stuff on it (Gigabytes and Gigabytes of stuff I don't want to lose...), I've been a little wary of trying it here.
    At this moment, I'm giving it a shot however. If I get to post again AFTER the install...I'll let you know how it went[​IMG]!